Home Configuration Manager Ticker

Ticker ver. 1.0.2016.5 - Unable to create scheduled announcement

angieangie Member IT Monkey ✭
Unable to create a scheduled announcement - Log follows:

7/18/2016 10:17:17 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : ------------ Initializing new instance of Cireson Ticker App --------------
7/18/2016 10:17:17 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : ------------ Cireson.TickerAdmin version 1.0.2016.5 --------------
7/18/2016 10:17:17 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : ------------ Hosted by System Center Configuration Manager version 5.0.8239.1301 --------------
7/18/2016 10:17:18 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : ------------ Connected to Site TCC --------------
7/18/2016 10:18:54 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Previewing announcement
7/18/2016 10:19:27 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Preparing to post announcement.
7/18/2016 10:19:27 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Checking if current user has permissions to initialize client notification.
7/18/2016 10:19:27 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Current user has permission to initiate client notification, proceeding.
7/18/2016 10:19:27 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Initiating Client Notification actiontype 8 for collection 'EUC-DSST Team Systems'
7/18/2016 10:19:28 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Client Notification method returned operationID 16777287
7/18/2016 10:19:28 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Getting TaskID for currently processed Client Notification.
7/18/2016 10:19:28 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Returned TaskID {f1da71f2-9104-4c34-b7e8-caf889b8ca01}
7/18/2016 10:19:28 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Checking if Inventory Class 'Cireson_Ticker' exists.
7/18/2016 10:19:28 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Inventory Class 'Cireson_Ticker' exist. Setting Announcement details.
7/18/2016 10:19:28 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Altering inventory configuration to hold the Announcement.
7/18/2016 10:19:28 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Mof data retrieved. 1292 characters imported
7/18/2016 10:19:28 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Connecting to namespace '\\SVW0210\root\sms\site_TCC'.
7/18/2016 10:19:28 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Importing Mof data into ConfigMgr.
7/18/2016 10:19:29 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Error: Unable to save inventory configuration.(No inner exception)
7/18/2016 10:19:29 AM ERCOT\astahlsvc : Error message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Application popup also indicates The Announcement could not be posted.

This error is received for both immediate display and schedule display.

Thanks
Angie

Answers

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you running this application with a user account that has full ConfigMgr admin access?

• wally_meadwally_mead Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hi Angie,

Good to hear from you. Sorry that you are having an issue. My guess is that you are trying this in an environment that has a central administration site, as well as child primary sites. If that is true, that is a common issue that we resolved a couple of months ago :-) So if that is your scenario, you need to download the Ticker app again from the Cireson site, and install the newer version. This newer version will work on both a CAS as well as on a child primary site (in addition to all of you who only have standalone primary sites).

Let me know if that is your scenario, and if the new download works for you.

Wally
  • cfritzycfritzy Member IT Monkey ✭

I am getting the exact same thing in my environment as Angie is.  No CAS in my environment, even though the log file on a successful announcement says a CAS present.  I even uninstalled the app, removed the inventory classes that were there and then reinstalled the app again clean.  I can randomly get an announcement to post and then after that, I get Angie's issue, verbatim.  I am the admin for the ConfigMgr infrastructure and have full rights to what is needed. 

One Primary Site server, 3 secondary sites, no CAS.  On ConfigMgr Current Branch v1602 (haven't had a chance to install 1606 yet ;-)

Does the announcement eventually get displayed? I've only ever seen that error with the original release of the Ticker app in a CAS environment. I have seen cases where there is a timeout from the Policy Provider, but the announcement eventually gets delivered through normal policy processing.

I have also heard of cases where someone started with a CAS, then removed it, but ConfigMgr thought that is was still in a hierarchy. That was resolved through Microsoft CSS as I recall.

I have never had a CAS in my environment.  I removed the original or last release of the product and loaded the new one on.  I have had one announcement go through but any subsequent ones don't post or show up.

Well, not sure what else to suggest then. My dev is on vacation for the next two weeks, so likely won't be able to get much else figured out by then. We will need the admin log, and a client log (one that is targeted with an announcement) to do further investigation. Just email the logs to me directly at wally.mead@cireson.com and I'll look at them. If I see anything, I'll let you know, otherwise will need to wait for dev to return.
    Before I do anything else, is there a clean way to remove all the components/old log files from the Parent Server?  I would like to try and get this as clean as possible and do a reinstall.  I figure I would ask for any tips and then refer to the documentation next but if there is anything special to look for after uninstalling the app, that would be great.  I just want to try and make sure no old remnants are there.
    Here's what I came up with when someone else asked about removing everything previously:

If you want to remove the entire class, you obviously would first uninstall the client and admin apps. This does not remove the Cireson_Ticker hardware inventory class however. But from there, you can Delete our class from the Set Hardware Classes view of Client Settings. That will remove it and you should be clean then.

• AYSAYS Member IT Monkey ✭
    Please share the link to download the latest version of ticker App.
    Here's what I came up with when someone else asked about removing everything previously:

If you want to remove the entire class, you obviously would first uninstall the client and admin apps. This does not remove the Cireson_Ticker hardware inventory class however. But from there, you can Delete our class from the Set Hardware Classes view of Client Settings. That will remove it and you should be clean then.

Hi Angie,

Good to hear from you. Sorry that you are having an issue. My guess is that you are trying this in an environment that has a central administration site, as well as child primary sites. If that is true, that is a common issue that we resolved a couple of months ago :-) So if that is your scenario, you need to download the Ticker app again from the Cireson site, and install the newer version. This newer version will work on both a CAS as well as on a child primary site (in addition to all of you who only have standalone primary sites).

Let me know if that is your scenario, and if the new download works for you.

Wally
    Hi Wally, 
    can you please share the latest ticker App download, as i m also facing the same issue. 

link to download the ticker app is unavailable online. 
    If you have a CAS, then you definitely need the later version (which has been out for a few months now). You can get it from the main Cireson.com page, then Products, then Free Community Apps. The link would be here: http://cireson.com/apps/configuration-manager-ticker/

Let me know if that helps.
    Hi wally, i m unable to figure out download link on http://cireson.com/apps/configuration-manager-ticker/, they have a form to be filled, which i had already filled and was shared with other version of tickr App, 
    Hene please share the downloading link. 
    Let me check on the direct download link. I'm only familiar with the process to download through the registration process. I know it is a bit of a pain, but done to keep track of who downloads software. I thought that we were supposed to let people know when new versions of the apps were available (and that was one of the reasons for registering). Let me check for you.
    Here's the link to the Free Community Solutions software downloads. The Configuration Manager Ticker app is the third one in the list. The top Ticker app is for the SCSM Ticker, so you want the third one:

https://support.cireson.com/software/#/#Free Community Solutions

Hey Wally, 

after installing the updated version also i m getting same issue. 
    below is the log file. 

------------ Initializing new instance of Cireson Ticker App --------------
     ------------ Cireson.TickerAdmin version 1.0.2016.5 --------------
     ------------ Hosted by System Center Configuration Manager version 5.0.8325.1000 --------------
     ------------ Connected to Site CAS --------------
     ------------ Connected Site is a Central Administration Site (CAS) --------------
    Previewing announcement
    Preparing to post announcement.
    Checking if current user has permissions to initialize client notification.
    Current user has permission to initiate client notification, proceeding.
    Initiating Client Notification actiontype 8 for collection 'test'
    Client Notification method returned operationID 20
    Getting TaskID for currently processed Client Notification.
    Returned TaskID {08c50382-e13a-4d33-85de-74c51357812c}
    Checking if Inventory Class 'Cireson_Ticker' exists.
    Inventory Class 'Cireson_Ticker' exist. Setting Announcement details.
    Altering inventory configuration to hold the Announcement.
    Mof data retrieved. 1209 characters imported
    Connecting to namespace '\\xyz\root\sms\site_CAS'.
    Importing Mof data into ConfigMgr.
    Error: Unable to save inventory configuration.(No inner exception)
    Error message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

As per the logs could see that its still taking old version. 
    but in the my programs could see that new version is updated. 

Let me get my environment ready to verify this. I just finished my webinar, so need to reset some VMs and install the Ticker. I'll update after verifying.
    Hi,

I just tested. The current build is indeed 1.0.2016.5. That is the build that works with a CAS. I just installed it on my CAS and child primary, and all works as expected. I can create an announcement at the CAS as well as the child primary.

So that is the correct version. And it does work. My only guess is that you don't have the rights required to do so? I know you said that you were the admin, however, can you verify that your security role allows:

Collection – Deploy Client Settings

* Inventory Reports – Modify

Those are the two primary permissions required.

Outside that, feel free to contact me directly at wally.mead@cireson.com

Wally
    Hi, 
    Wally i am part of SCCM-admins which is full administrator on Security roles. 
    One query, i have installed Ticker Admin on CAS and respective 64 bit and 32 bit binaries on cleints(test Clients), 

Do i need to install Ticker Admin binary on respective Primary Sites/Secondary Sites. 

or only primary sites as they are directly communicating to CAS. 

thanks in Advance. 
    I have never tried it with only installing on just the CAS. I always have tried both the CAS as well as the primary site as that is where I would expect admins to run it from. Absolutely no need on a secondary site, as no admin console there, and no policies created there. You would want to install it on any admin console that you want to create announcement for, regardless of whether they are under a CAS or standalone.
  • F_ChristiansenF_Christiansen Cireson Dev Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,
    I am the developer of the Ticker App. 

The error occurs when I try to add the announcement data into the Hardware Inventory class we use for the ticker. 
    Could you provide the message you are trying to post, if its contains any special characters that might cause the error.
    Also if you experiences the issue when posting a simple text like "Test" could you attach the log file 'SmsAdminUI.log' located in the console folder, typically:
    '%programfiles (x86)%\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole\AdminUILog'
    and the log file 'smsprov.log' located at the site server at:
    '%programfiles (x86)%\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Logs'

Best regards
    Flemming Appelon Christiansen
  • EmilEmil Member IT Monkey ✭
    edited August 2016
    Hello,
    I am still having the same issue as described above.
    I have one primary site (no CAS) . Version of SCCM is latest 1606 with both Hotfixes (KB3180992 and KB3184153) installed and latest version of the Ticker App (Cireson-ConfigMgr-Ticker-App-v1.1.2016.5). I tried it on 3 different computers with admin console installed with the same results. 
    I tried to post announcements to 2 different test collection. First two tries ware successful. Last one failed.   
    I checked the announcement text to make sure there are no special characters, and even retyped it manually. The text is:"This is a reminder to P-Card Holders, Coordinators and Approves to reconcile your P-Card transactions for the August 4th statement. For more information please contact ERP Support Center at (954) 555-1212, option 5" 
     I attached log files. 

Please let me know if you need more information for troubleshooting.
    Hi Emil,

Sorry that you are having an issue. I can validate that the issue is not with your text, as I just copied it and then pasted it into my lab environment, and the message was posted fine, and is now currently scrolling across the bottom of my target computer's display.

I do see an error in the smsprov.log that looks to be related to the parsing of the inventory mof. I'll let Flemming take over from here, as I'm not as smart as he is and can't state what the issue is.

Thanks for providing the logs, it certainly helps. Hopefully we'll figure something out quickly for you.

Wally
  • EmilEmil Member IT Monkey ✭
    Hi Emil,

Sorry that you are having an issue. I can validate that the issue is not with your text, as I just copied it and then pasted it into my lab environment, and the message was posted fine, and is now currently scrolling across the bottom of my target computer's display.

I do see an error in the smsprov.log that looks to be related to the parsing of the inventory mof. I'll let Flemming take over from here, as I'm not as smart as he is and can't state what the issue is.

Thanks for providing the logs, it certainly helps. Hopefully we'll figure something out quickly for you.

Wally
    Thank you for quick response. I really appreciate your help. 
    You are very welcome. We need to get this figured out, hopefully something simple. Not sure why it works for me (and the vast majority of everyone else), and just a handful of you are having issues.

Wally
    Hi everyone,

We have resolved this issue. Not clear exactly why some see the issue and others not.
    However, the problem seems to be that the mof compiler is very delicate in which characters that can be imported.
    Anyone interested in beta testing can contact Wally directly or leave a comment in this thread.

Best regards

I am interested in the beta.  cfritzsche AT gibsondunn dot com

Is there a limit to the number of characters in the ticker announcement that you can have?  Also, will the clients have to be at the same version?

I will get the new version sent out as soon as I have had a chance to do my own testing to verify we're good to go.

As to the questions, the string length will depend on the characters in your text, so it varies a little. However, you expect to have about 175 available. If special characters cause issues and we have to substitute them, then it may shorten that a bit.

For the client versions, Flemming had told me previously that a down level client version can still work with a newer admin app version, however you'd not get any of the advantages of the new version on the client, such as different font sizes, bold, italics, underscore, etc.
    Hi everyone,

We have resolved this issue. Not clear exactly why some see the issue and others not.
    However, the problem seems to be that the mof compiler is very delicate in which characters that can be imported.
    Anyone interested in beta testing can contact Wally directly or leave a comment in this thread.

Best regards

And if you do want to contact me directly, and not put your email address in this thread, you can email me at wally.mead@cireson.com and I'll get you the beta version as soon as I've had some time to test it myself, which I'll be doing right after typing this message :-)
    There is a max length at 255 characters for the message. But since the mof compiler has issues with non-alphabetic characters (even space) these will be substituted so each non-alphabetic character will take up the space of 3 characters.

Based on beta tester feedback, the new Ticker App will have a counter - just like Twitter - so you can keep track of how many characters you have left. So you will see that each time you type e.g. a space, the remaining character counter will drop 3 numbers.

This discussion has been closed.