Home All Other Feature Requests and Ideas
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

Notify Analyst - Tick Box Option to Set Status Back to Active/In Progress When End User Comments

Matt_OvertonMatt_Overton Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

This! I would love this so much... Or even two options, one for Incident and another for Service Request so you can turn on just one.

I'm rubbish at XML and editing management packs and all that stuff. I've hunted everywhere to try and find a way to create a workflow myself that does this, but everything I've found is for SCSM 2012 (we're on 2016) and none of it works.
1 votes

Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    While it is a completely different solution and larger in scope that this ask. This has been addressed through the SMLets Exchange Connector so you can control what status shift occurs on Affected User, Assigned To User, and Related User replies for Incidents.
  • Matt_OvertonMatt_Overton Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    That looks and sounds fantastic! This is going to sound really stupid and I'm embarrassed to ask, but my scripting/Powershell knowledge is extremely basic and limited and I'm still learning lots about SCSM as I go: how do I install and set it up? Is there a guide or anything similar?
    edited May 2019
    This thing has become equal parts open source project and SCSM/PowerShell education. So no need to feel stupid or embarrassed, we all start somewhere! Just hope this can aid you in that journey and make your SCSM deployment more awesome.

It's hosted on GitHub with a Wiki to help you get it deployed on premise or in Azure. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks for this @Adam_Dzyacky, I think I understand now. So I install SMlets first and any other pre-requisites, download the .ps1 file and edit all relevant sections within the Configuration region, then I create a scheduled task as per the Wiki to run the file on a regular interval, is that right?

My only main question from this is how does the existing Exchange connector impact things? Do I need to disable it or can it stay enabled - I'm just thinking about possible conflicts?
  • Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not Adam, but I just ran across this and he hasn't yet.  :)  There is a conflict, so to speak, if you keep both of them enabled, because they fight over the same mail.  You would most likely not want two tickets for every one email, in other words.  If they happen to be looking at different mailboxes, then there is no conflict at all.

I will say that it is wonderful not having the MS connector anymore, since it was a significant performance drain for us, but I do keep one disabled in case of issues with the connector script.  In practice, I have never re-enabled it yet even once, though.
    Thanks for the coverage @Tom_Hendricks!

That'd be correct @Matt_Overton - Task Scheduler, SMA, Azure Automation, however you want to configure it. To answer your question/second Tom here, this is a complete replacement for the stock Microsoft Exchange Connector so you'd want to at the very least disable it. Tom actually added the logic to install SMLets so if it's missing, the connector will pull it down from the PowerShell Gallery for you. But if you want to get it and make sure its there before the connector does just perform the following at the shell for the environment that would be running the connector. Alternatively, you can do this on your own machine if you're looking to get started with automating SCSM.

Install-Module SMLets

I highly recommend testing this in a development capacity first to make sure the script can hit your Exchange environment. What's the best way to test you ask? I wrote a blog post over on my GitHub that answers this very question. This blog is accessible directly from the repo itself near the top.
    Thanks @Tom_Hendricks and @Adam_Dzyacky for all the help!

Going to, time permitting, take things for a spin today. I'll let you know how it goes! No dev environment, but I'm actively encouraged by my bosses to experiment and try things out even with the risks and can always roll back the server if needs be.
    @Adam_Dzyacky It works like a charm! Thank you so much for your help, I'm so impressed with it! :smiley:
    That is most excellent to hear @Matt_Overton! If you run into any issues, the main thread here on the community has several folks (myself included) ready to help. If you have any ideas, just raise an Issue/Feature Request on Github.