Home Analyst Portal

How to add Assigned User (optional) in a Request Offering?

Carol_MorrellCarol_Morrell Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hi - I was wondering whether anyone had done this - we have a generic Request Offering on our Portal for our Service Desk to use, which allows them to allocate the call to a Support Group, but in certain cases we also would like to allocate the call to a particular Analyst, eg if the call is urgent.  So it is not something we can set on the Template, as normally the analyst will not be assigned at this stage.  Has anyone done this via a Request Offering and if so how?  We cannot see how to do this?

Many thanks, Carol.

Best Answer

Answers

• Konstantin_Slavin-BoKonstantin_Slavin-Bo Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    There's a number of ways you can achieve this. Orchestrator, SMA or Powershell activities are the most versatile, and is useful for all kind of stuff in SCSM. You can also use a workflow, which applies another template to new WIs based on some condition. But all of it would depend on being able to logically determine when to assign a particular analyst - how do you determine that? Based on a selection in the RO?
  • Carol_MorrellCarol_Morrell Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Thank you for the reply Konstantin, yes we understand we can do this based on rules.  But what we were wondering was whether our Service Desk Request Offering could prompt for the Analyst, so that they can enter it there for our urgent calls, this is not dependent on what has been selected in the RO, but rather which Analyst is allocated on that day to work first line on urgent calls.  This would save our Service Desk time for these urgent calls - as at the moment they take the call via a RO, then they have to go back into it and assign it to the allocated Analyst.  We couldn't work out whether such a thing was possible and it sounds like it isn't!
  • Shane_WhiteShane_White Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Hi @Carol_Morrell

That sounds like some high level customization you would need built for that.. as the logic behind that doesn't sound like it would be an easy thing to do! My recommendation would be reach out to Team@Cireson.com, see if this is possible and get an engagement going.

I was thinking another way you could do is have an optional prompt on the ARO for 'Assigned User' that they do not have to fill out but could if it was urgent, which would then have a PowerShell Activity running in the work item to take that information and set the Assigned User on the ticket so the analyst didn't have to go back in and assign in.

Let me know what you think!
    Shane. 
    Hi Shane, Thanks for this reply.  I think your suggestion to prompt for the 'Assigned User' in the ARO and have a powershell activity to take that information and set the 'Assigned User' on the ticket is just what we need.  But as we are so new to this and have limited powershell knowledge, is there anything available which does something similar that we can look at?  Many thanks!
    Hi Carol,

I am trying to build something in my lab that works in this way but might take some time! Going to test it for SR's/IR's because the easiest way to do this is extend the class to include a 'User Input JSON' extension, which you can then target with a PowerShell activity and make this possible.

I will try work this out for you and let you know when I get somewhere.

Also as a side note, do you not think something like this may be abused by your users if you give them the ability the select the assigned user? Or even just an ARO that automatically assigns to someone in general? My advice would be if you did want to do something like this it needs to be in a separate Service Offering for only like managers to use for example.

Thanks,
    Shane.
    Hi Shane, Thank you, yes you are correct, this is a separate RO that is just used by our Service Desk to allow them to quickly assign urgent calls that are raised by phone - it is not available to Users.  Many thanks, Carol.
    No worries, thanks for clarifying! When an RO is created you get the green bar at the top with a link back to the ticket, do they use this to go back into the ticket and assign? 

Or are you looking to do something that is quicker than this?

Thanks,
    Shane.
    Thanks Shane, good point, I will check with the Service Desk and see if this is quicker for them, which will save us some effort with powershell !

Gerhard_Goossens

Thank you, this looks just what we are after, I'll set something similar up in our Dev environment.  Thanks for sharing this with us.

• alex_kokinalex_kokin Member IT Monkey ✭

@Gerhard_Goossens any chance you can please send me the details for the quick assign runbook?