Home View Builder

Receiving error message when trying to promote new IR views

Bryce_FowlerBryce_Fowler Customer IT Monkey ✭
Hello,
A few of our analysts are having issues with creating views.  We are able to create them in the SCSM console, but when we try to promote some of them, we get the following error.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Cireson.ServiceManager.Console.Console.PromoteViewHelper.ExecutePromoteView(ManagementPackViewNode managementPackViewNode, NavigationModelNodeBase navigationNode, PromoteViewNavigationModel navModel, String webserviceURL, Byte[] iconSelected, Boolean isPublic, IDataItem user)
   at Cireson.ServiceManager.Console.UI.NavigationSelectionForm.btnPromote_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

We recently upgraded to the latest version of the Portal and made sure to upgrade the ViewBuilder app as suggested by Cireson, but we're still getting this error.  I'm at a loss of where to start.   Has anyone else seen this issue or have a suggestion to resolve?
Thanks!

Answers

• Shane_WhiteShane_White Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Bryce_Fowler

Can you confirm that the views you have built are not one of the following:

Views that cannot be promoted
    Some views cannot be promoted due to technical difficulties. You may be able to recreate them instead as 'Saved Searches'

CI - All views under Computers folder
    CI - All Business Services
    CI - All Printers
    CI - Software
    CI - Software Updates
    CI - Users
    RA - any view using Reviewers
    WI - Runbook Automation Activities
    Any view using the Me Token
    Any view using a Relative Date Time Token
    Views built with Advanced View Editor (from Technet)
    Any view that is using a projection with > 2 levels of component nesting
    All fields added from view builder Custom Columns

The error thrown is saying it cannot find something in particular so if it isn't one of these I would verify the URL you have specified for this is correct.

Does it work for some views?

Thanks,
    Shane.
  • Bryce_FowlerBryce_Fowler Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Hi @Shane_White
    Thank you for the response.  We are able to promote most views we create, it just seems this particular one throws that error.  I've gone through it and it appears to not fall under the 'views that cannot be promoted' criteria you've listed.  I'll see if the analyst can create it as a saved search instead.
    Thanks
    Interesting @Bryce_Fowler !

Okay could you let me know the class it is pointing to and the criteria etc so I can test it in my lab?

Thanks,
    Shane.

@Shane_White

Sorry for the delay....things get put on the back burner when we're short staffed.

Looks like the analyst is using the 'Incident (typical)' class and trying to select ID, Title, Display Name, Status, Support Group, Category, Classification, Created Date.

Thanks!

Hi @Bryce_Fowler

I have just done this in my lab and confirmed it is working so the view looks like it is valid, do you have any criteria set?

Can you confirm the version of your View Builder Management pack? And can you confirm it is licensed?

Is it on everyone's console that tries to use it or just a certain machine?

Thanks,

Shane.

Hi @Shane_White

The view is using a single criteria of 'Category'. If we remove that it will promote, but, it kind of defeats the purpose of the view the analyst is creating. Know any ways around this? :)

We're using a licensed View Builder 8.0.1.2016, and it's happening on any machine we try to create from.

Thanks!!

Hi @Bryce_Fowler

Could you send me screenshots either on here or privately of your entire configuration for this view so I can try it in my lab?

Then I can try work on a way around it for you 😀

Thanks,

Shane.