Home Service Manager

Anyone still using Data Warehouse?

Brian_WinterBrian_Winter Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

If so, are you looking to move off to Analytics?

I don't know if we're the only ones trying to heard this dinosaur.

Answers

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

We're using the SCSM DW and migrating away into Analytics is a rather low priority task for us given the fantastic wealth of information that it (the SCSM DW) presents for SCSM, SCOM, and SCCM all in a single place.

I've explored Analytics, but there are a few showstoppers for us:

1. Effort to rewrite numerous reports, dashboards, Excel Power Queries, and PowerBI reports
    2. The installer for Analytics (last I checked) does not honor the SQL Collation chosen for SCSM, so a lot of Cireson SQL jobs fail rather instantly upon deployment. It's possible the simple answer here is deploy it, don't sync, change the collation, and then let it run. Just haven't made anytime to test this.
    3. There are several Azure AI based initiatives that we currently depend on/are in-flight that are only possible with the SCSM DW and/or only available by virtue of extending the SCSM DW through management packs.

I'm just taking a wild guess, but point 3 probably makes our deployment rather unique. So ignoring it for a moment, the bulk of reporting use cases for SCSM is more than likely around "Create reports for Work Items." In which case, I could easily argue that the SCSM DW is overkill for such use cases and Analytics is a superior, simplified path forward. Additionally, I've certainly heard my fair share of horror stories around the DW. But in all of the time I've used SCSM, I've only ever ran into about 2 or 3 issues. Annoying? Yes. Recoverable? Entirely.

In short - The answer to your question I believe depends entirely on your requirements. @Brian_Wiest highlights this pretty well here - https://community.cireson.com/discussion/comment/17787#Comment_17787

• Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

We are using it, but actively working on a plan to fully replace it. In short, it is both a maintenance and data quality nightmare. The objective it seeks to fulfill is critically important, however. (It is worth noting that this is different than the Cireson Analytics objective, which is focused on aggregate data).

Essentially, we are planning to do our own from-scratch warehousing, marts, and cubes. This will actually make life easier for us and the time spent doing it will pay for itself in less than a month, I anticipate.

The SCSM data warehouse should have been one of its best features, but is one of the worst, unfortunately. Top 3 worst, for sure. Excellent idea with terrible execution.

• John_LongJohn_Long Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

I'm migrating to 2019 and do not plan to bring it with us! :D

• Brian_WinterBrian_Winter Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

So I've identified Power BI to be the new reporting tool. I would have liked to have used native portal tools but I need parameters. Take the List of Incidents OotB as an example (which happens to be my first report to migrate).

Question is how to embed a Power BI dashboard or report within a portal page/iframe?

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brian_Winter ,

I'd be curious to know what your parameter requirements are that are precluding the use of the portal dashboard pages. Maybe we can work together to get reporting working how you want it in the portal...

• Brian_WinterBrian_Winter Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

So let's take the List of Incidents report. We use this much like the detail grids in the portal dashboards, but with a handful of added columns used for Excel. So this List of Incidents allows me to create a front end report that can drill down to the List. One report we pass a list of Support Group. Another report passes a Date Range. A third passes a list of IDs. Although we may not need ALL the params that comes with this report, I was planning on lifting the Stored Proc and translating the tables and columns to either Analytics or ServiceManager (or a combination of both).