Home Service Manager

Service Manager Resource

Sean_TerrySean_Terry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

I work in a fairly small team and I just wondered what resource other companies put into SCSM in terms of number of staff and knowledge background (i.e. SQL, API etc).

We are looking at the resource so it would be good to compare.

Best Answer

Answers

• Tony_CollettTony_Collett Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

You can certainly get by with a low level of SQL knowledge. You only need to be able to install MSSQL and get it prepared with default settings.

There are loads of guides on installing service manager on TechNet and YouTube. I find that the best way to learn is to just jump in and try it. As long as you follow the guides and get all the prereqs installed, SCSM installation is pretty straight forward.

API usage is optional, but can be very powerful and provide much more detailed information when required, often for use in larger environments.

SCSM can be managed by a single person as long as requirements don't exceed expectations. You can get a simple Service Catalog and Incident tracking + some automation using one person. Add a second and you can get pretty much everything out of SCSM you need, such as Knowledge Base and Change Management.

• Sean_TerrySean_Terry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Thanks. It's more about the level of staffing and knowledge that companies have in a medium-large deployment to manage the product going forward. This is so we can draw on real life examples and then assess our current situation.

• Sean_TerrySean_Terry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Thank you @John_Long

If anyone else is happy to share that would be really good to get an idea of the kind of resource that is put into supporting SCSM.