Home Analyst Portal
Options

Adding default or some hint to fields

Martin_StrbavyMartin_Strbavy Member IT Monkey ✭
Hi guys,
is it possible to add some hints how to fill fields in forms like Change requests etc? I know that it is possible to add default values to field through JS, but was thinking about some hint when user will go over field with mouse pointer. Do you have something like this in yours environment?

Thanks
Martin

Answers

• Options
    Shane_WhiteShane_White Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Martin_Strbavy

You can do this a fair bit easier through Advanced Request offerings by adding in Regular Expressions and tooltips.

But if you just want to do this on forms it may be a little more custom, this may not be the most efficient way but may be something you are after:

$(document).ready(function () {
    var mainPageNode = document.getElementById('main_wrapper');
    var observer = new MutationObserver(function(mutations) {
    var tooltip = document.getElementsByName("Description")[0]
    tooltip.title="this is my tooltip"
    observer.disconnect();
    //}
    });

// configure the observer and start the instance.
    var observerConfig = {attributes: true, childList: true, subtree: true, characterData: true };
    observer.observe(mainPageNode, observerConfig);
    });

So you can run this and then when you hover over the description box you will get a box come says "this is my tooltip" and works across all work items. And from here you can be more specific but hopefully a good starting point.

Thanks,
    Shane.
  • Options
    Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Martin_Strbavy I do have this in our environment, but it is 100% custom code.  If you can get away with using ARO forms, I love @Shane_White 's suggestion above.  For ticket forms, it required customization for me.  You could create a form field of type "Display" above every other field on the form, but it looks cluttered and gets messed up on mobile view, etc.  Instead, I did this:

The form fields are disabled because it's locked, but you get the idea.  If someone wants to know what they are supposed to put in a field, they can hover over the question mark.  I picked an obvious one for the screenshot because I don't have to blur anything proprietary out.  This is most helpful for the enum lists, such as the Urgency/Impact and Priority (for SR) fields.  It really helps when users know which one to pick and why.  Those definitions give the meaning of each item in the list, so the bubbles are a bit taller.

I load a list of field definitions from the database into the app cache and the values are read in from the cache as needed.  The cache gets stale and updated once a day.

If Cireson would like to provide this, I would be happy to rip out my customization.  I have not requested this that I remember, so feel free to, @Martin_Strbavy.
  • Options
    Jonathan_BolesJonathan_Boles Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    @Tom_Hendricks is the layout you have for the CR part of the latest release in the portal or is the layout 100% custom as well? It looks fantastic! Any chance you'd be able to share any of that?

• Options
    Thanks @Jonathan_Boles !  It is highly customized, but you might recognize the foundational parts of it from other community posts:  
    • The list of activities by stage is just a modification of this from @Geoff_Ross (I hope to have time to scrub that and share a form of it soon).
    • The work item lock is just this from @john_doyle, with a few small modifications to suit our internal needs.
    • The counts of activities and related items is also based on code in this forum, but I could not find the link after some searching (it probably has a title that I am not thinking of).
    I will need to do quite a bit of scrubbing to be able to share these modifications, but I plan to over the next several weeks, if I can.
  • Options
    Martin_StrbavyMartin_Strbavy Member IT Monkey ✭
    @Tom_Hendricks, that is amazing customization. I was thinking about similar solution like you did with question mark or solution which @Shane_White with tooltips. So thanks both for some pointing to right direction. 

But really if you will have some time, it would be nice if you will have some time to rip out at least some of your customizations ;) I think that lot of people will appreciate it not just me :wink:
  • Options
    Time is something I have less than none of, currently.  These days I mainly use this forum while standing in line somewhere or while on hold or waiting for something to load--it is difficult to dedicate real time to this--but when this condition changes, I do plan to share scrubbed versions of the customizations.  They are relatively simple and would not be difficult to replicate, but I am happy to share if someone does not beat me to it.
  • Options
    Ben_TeyBen_Tey Partner Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

@Tom_Hendricks Awesome design Love it ! the customization is not simple as no i'm not creative on design. Waiting for your release :)