Homeβ€Ί Analyst Portal

None AD Users in Users CI

Emma_JenkinsEmma_Jenkins Customer IT Monkey ✭

We need to manually add a couple of Users. These are not real people so no AD account.

I understand simply creating Users in Service Manager console will not work because the Cache Builder relies on the User CI being an instance of the AD User class.

Could anyone help me find the solution to this.

Thank you in advance.

Best Answer

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer βœ“

@Emma_Jenkins - You could create the CI with powershell and write the entry into the CI$user table rather than waiting on the AD connector and cachebuilder to do it. That would let your tickets be pointed at an affected user while the rest of the Administrative process was happening. The user still wouldn't be able to login to the portal though because authentication relies on AD and this ticket wouldn't follow them once their account got properly created(unless you had a process to switch it from this "dummy" account to their normal account). But anything is possible! πŸ˜‰

Answers

• Konstantin_Slavin-BoKonstantin_Slavin-Bo Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭

Can't you just create dummy AD accounts for the users? That's what we do.

• Emma_JenkinsEmma_Jenkins Customer IT Monkey ✭

@Konstantin_Slavin-Bo I guess that is an option.

What do you plan to do with these users? As you say cachebuilder won't write them to the database in the absence of a proper AD account. But depending on what you're trying to do with them, there could be ways around some of that.

edited October 2019

Hi @Justin_Workman

The accounts will do nothing other than be an Affected User for a certain type of job.

One in particular is for what our Service Desk use as a catchall for new users. So for example a new starter to the organisation has just been set up on the network and they call up for some credentials etc. They cannot log onto the portal or be selected as an Affected User yet as our AD Connectors sync overnight and we also rely on some details from our payroll system to populate AD before it is accepted by the connector. So it can take at least a day until they are in the portal. Service Desk would previously use a dummy account to log jobs for these people such as 'New Starter', but since migration to the Cireson portal they are logging them in their own names.

Answer βœ“

@Emma_Jenkins - You could create the CI with powershell and write the entry into the CI$user table rather than waiting on the AD connector and cachebuilder to do it. That would let your tickets be pointed at an affected user while the rest of the Administrative process was happening. The user still wouldn't be able to login to the portal though because authentication relies on AD and this ticket wouldn't follow them once their account got properly created(unless you had a process to switch it from this "dummy" account to their normal account). But anything is possible! πŸ˜‰

@Justin_Workman thank you for that! I could just use that to create the placeholder/dummy account i.e. 'NewUser' and never change it too.

edited October 2019

I think that has done exactly what i wanted :) thank you!