Home Service Manager

need to replace dwh data source

Service_Desk2Service_Desk2 Member IT Monkey ✭
edited October 2019 in Service Manager

Hi,

We have recently replaced an old win 2012r2 workflow server with a new win 2019.

when i look in the data warehouse tab in the console i have two data sources, one for the management server and one for the dwh server.

the "problem" is that the data source for the servicemanager datase is the old workflow server. how do i change this to the new workflow server?

shall unregister the whole dwh and register it again?

shall i remove the existing old "scsm-mg" source that has the old SDK Server and then just register a new data source with the new server?

I dont want any data loss =)

Best Answer

• Service_Desk2Service_Desk2 Member IT Monkey ✭
    Answer ✓

The answer was to unregister the dwh from the old mgmt server.

Then update MTV_Microsoft$SystemCenter$ResourceAccessLayer$SdkResourceStore with the new mgmt server name.

Lastly to register dwh from the new dwh server

Answers

and looking in this table there is a reference to the old SDK server

USE ServiceManager

select * from MTV_Microsoft$SystemCenter$ResourceAccessLayer$SdkResourceStore  

maybe i can just change the servername there?

• Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Renaming the DW server is not an supported option.

You basically need to build out a new DW and perform a restore so outside of the OS, it is the same server.

it is not the DW server, it is the same DW server but a new SDK (workflow) server.

So it is just a management server. Then you just connect it to the management group during the install or is the issue that fact you have a UR installed so it will not allow the connection?

let me try to explain where we are =)

We had an old mgmt server called scsmgmtprod01, this was the workflow server and the server that registered the dwh (scsmdwhprod01) back at 2015.

Now we have installed a new mgmt server called scsmprod01, we have changed with sql script so this new server is the workflow server.

But if i open Data Warehouse tab and look at data sources i have two of those:

DW_SCSM-MG, this is the scsmdwhprod01 machine

SCSM-MG, this still have the old scsmmgmtprod01 as SDK server.

Since we have turned off scsmmgmtprod01 several dwh jobs is failing because the dwh server can't access the data access service on scsmmgmtprod01.

So, we have the same dwh server as before, but we have replaced the old mgmt/sdk server.

What we want to do is to unregister SCSM-MG (scsmmgmtprod01) and then register the new scsmprod01 server, without any data loss.

Ah OK so you are replacing your Primary SCSM management server.

Promote the server to primary

As I said, I have already promoted the new server to to be the new workflow server.

But the dwh data source still has the old mgmt server as SDK Server.

Answer ✓

The answer was to unregister the dwh from the old mgmt server.

Then update MTV_Microsoft$SystemCenter$ResourceAccessLayer$SdkResourceStore with the new mgmt server name.

Lastly to register dwh from the new dwh server