Home Self-Service Portal - Community

Why does Search spin and spin and not return results

I have both LIVE and DEV environments now running the Self-Service Community Portal v9.0.13.2019.

Search works fine in DEV and  I can find knowledge articles and request offerings fine (and fast)!

However in our LIVE environment both this version and our previous versions, v8.12.6.2016 (SSP) and 8.0.5.2016 (Analyst Portal) Search simply spins and spins (the three dots) and doesn't return results.  It isn't really a hang because one can select other options on the page and move on to something else.  I can search for incidents using search criteria, that works O.K.  However KnowledgeBase and Search Catalogue Searches don't work.  I upgraded to v9.0.13.2019 in the hope that the issue would be resolved but no joy.  I've also compared the Admin Settings - Setting Items and I can't see anything obvious as there is very little difference between the environments and nothing that screams Search.  Any ideas folks?  Thanks, Ben.

Best Answer

Answers

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the ServiceManagement DB on a SQL server with full text search enabled?

• Ben_McGarryBen_McGarry Customer IT Monkey ✭

Thanks for replying Adam. Much appreciated.

Question: Is Full Text Search Enabled? Answer: Yes

I ran the following query to be certain:

SELECT FULLTEXTSERVICEPROPERTY('IsFullTextInstalled')

It returned a value of 1.

Search did work at one point but broke in the previous version of teh Cireson Portal. It took a while before we realised so we can't pinpoint when, where or why?

Hi @Sha

• Shane_WhiteShane_White Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ben_McGarry ,

I don't think the rest of your message has sent fully!

Thanks,

Shane

edited November 2019

Hi Shane,  You hit the nail on the head.  The KnowledgeCatalog and RequestCatalog were missing.  I went to our DEV environment and used the 'Script Catalog As - Create To' options to grab the commands to recreate the catalogs on the Live system and then re-populated each catalog.  It took some time (about 3 hours) for the searches to begin to work.  The KnowledgeCatalog is still giving trouble (it isn't saving my Tables/Views criteria) but you have pointed me in the right direction and now two of the three catalogs are working.  Many thanks, Ben

• Richard_ByersRichard_Byers Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hi,  We are having the same issue where the KnowledgeCatalog and RequestCatalog are missing.  Can you please elaborate on how to re-create those? 

Thanks!

• Richard_ByersRichard_Byers Customer IT Monkey ✭

Along with that, how do the Full Text Catalogs go missing??

We are having to recreate and rebuild the KnowledgeCatalog and RequestOfferingCatalog regularly because they go missing. Sometimes the CiresonFullTextCatalog also goes missing or becomes empty so we have to rebuild that also. 

@Richard_Byers Along with that, how do the Full Text Catalogs go missing??

I'm no expert on these things so for what it is worth here is what we do to rebuild the catalogs.

1. In SQL Server Management Studio...Databases - ServiceManagement - Storage - Full Text Catalogs - Right Click - New Full-Text Catalog...
    2. Enter name of catalog e.g. KnowledgeCatalog
    3. I make the owner the account which owns the ServiceManagement database.
    4. Then click O.K.
    5. Then right-click KnowledgeCatalog - Properties - Tables/Views
    6. Select dbo.KnowledgeCatalog
    7. Tick the Available Columns you want, e.g. Abstract, AnalystContent, EndUserContent, Keywords and Title.
    8. Select the Language from the Language for Word Breaker (we chose English) for each column.
    9. Ensured the Population Schedule has been created/selected according your requirements (ours is daily).
    10. Right-Click Full Text Catalogs - Rebuild All.
    11. I'm not saying this is either the right or best way...but this is the way we did it. If anyone can enlighten me in case we are going wrong please feel free to say so.
    12. We still don't know why the catalogs disappear and doesn't always repopulate even after a rebuild. Some days later it appears to have sorted itself out.

• Shane_WhiteShane_White Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ben_McGarry + @Richard_Byers

I am not sure how the full text catalogs go missing, must have been a wobbly when the installer ran or even someone might have deleted them!

What Ben has suggested is a good way to rebuild the catalogs, you can just rebuild these manually as he has suggested so here is some screenshots of what they should look like for future reference (Tables/Views tab is the only one you need to focus on):

Hope this is helpful!

Thanks,

Shane