Home Analyst Portal

SCSM Promoting Views

Emma_JenkinsEmma_Jenkins Customer IT Monkey ✭
edited February 2020 in Analyst Portal

In my Dev environment I produced a couple of views in SCSM console and promoted them to the Portal initially no problem. Now I cannot, even if I recreate them as basic as possible.

I know I have read about certain views which are not supported and I think they may have fallen into this category. Although that partially answers my own question, annoyingly they worked! At least for a while until I wanted to add more columns to the view and promote it again and broke them.

Now when I click promote view the folders don't load and it throws an unhandled exception error. Last time I promoted an obviously unsupported view it allowed me to do so then just did not display in the portal.

Anyone any ideas what could be different now?

I have tried changing the class from a combination class to a basic and creating a view from scratch with just a basic class but they don't work now.

Answers

• Shane_WhiteShane_White Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Emma_Jenkins

Can you run this PowerShell on your SCSM Management Server and confirm the URL set for the promoting views is set correctly?

Get-SCSMObject -id 32ddc0a5-5910-958f-9cec-fb4645295a82 | Select promotePromoteViewConnectionString

If it is wrong you can set it to nothing again so that when you go to promote a view it will ask you to input the URL again.

$so = Get-SCSMObject -id 32ddc0a5-5910-958f-9cec-fb4645295a82 

Set-SCSMObject $so -Property PromoteViewConnectionString -Value $null

Thanks,

Shane

• Emma_JenkinsEmma_Jenkins Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hi Shane,

I gave it a try and cleared the URL so I could enter it again. Unfortunately still same. It looks like it would allow me to promote an out of the box view but not any I have created no matter how basic I make it.

Thanks

Emma

@Emma_Jenkins

Does it come under any of these categories:

Some views cannot be promoted due to technical difficulties. You may be able to recreate them instead as 'Saved Searches'

CI - All views under Computers folder

CI - All Business Services

CI - All Printers

CI - Software

CI - Software Updates

CI - Users

RA - any view using Reviewers

WI - Runbook Automation Activities

Any view using the Me Token

Any view using a Relative Date Time Token

Views built with Advanced View Editor (from Technet)

Any view that is using a projection with > 2 levels of component nesting

All fields added from view builder Custom Columns

Thanks,

Shane

My views I were trying to amend and re-promote came from a combination class (think it was 'Change Request and Activity) and the criteria did look for a Activity 'In progress' with a set Stage criteria. I am not sure if this should have come under something on the list of what does not work but it did work, and if I amend a out of the box view with this criteria it looks like it would work. It does not like anything created from scratch, even the most basic.

This view was the answer to many prayers here 😫

@Shane_White I will just go hide now. I recently reinstalled SCSM console on my device and I did not set my language to English 🙈

Haha! Well that would explain it, at least it is sorted now 😉

Thanks,

Shane