Home Analyst Portal

Create on Behalf - Function / Customization

Emmanuel_CassidyEmmanuel_Cassidy Customer IT Monkey ✭

We've recently updated our portal to v6, it's giving us the ability to control who has access to it using AD groups. this is very useful. Though we would like to have a little more control over it as quite honestly, it's seems to be confusing for some of our users. I don't blame them. Let me explain.

The Box/Field suggest to "Pick One..." and it's a drop down style box, now user's are simply clicking on the drop-down and selecting one of the 10 items in the drop down.  A factor that is causing this confusion is the Create on Behalf field is also pulling in Distribution Lists from AD for some reason, and the first 10 results so happens to be distribution lists of locations, so the users are selecting the DL that applies to their location.

My Question:

1. Can we modify the query that the "Create on behalf of" field uses to pull the results.
  2. Can we change the text in the field to mention something a little specific.
thanks

Comments

• Leigh_KildayLeigh_Kilday Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    We have users who select their own names in this field because they don't know they can leave it blank. I agree that it could be a little clearer.
  • Emmanuel_CassidyEmmanuel_Cassidy Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Hi Nicholas,    this is perfect. I appreciate the help. :)
  • David_MeldrumDavid_Meldrum Member IT Monkey ✭
    Excellent customisation, Nicholas!

Do you think it is also possible to use ExtraProps under this picker also? I have a customer that has thousands of users, some of which can have the same full name. The customer would like to see the unique username underneath the selected user if possible.

Thanks,
    David
  • john_doylejohn_doyle Cireson Support Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Nice customization. It strikes me that it would be even better if the initial question was 'Are you the affected user?' with the Yes/No options switched.
  • David_MeldrumDavid_Meldrum Member IT Monkey ✭
    Nice customization. It strikes me that it would be even better if the initial question was 'Are you the affected user?' with the Yes/No options switched.

Hi John - I found the easiest way to do this is to create an override for the CreateRequestofBehalfOf locatization (Under the Admin menu).

Cheers,
    David
  • Emmanuel_CassidyEmmanuel_Cassidy Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hi John - I found the easiest way to do this is to create an override for the CreateRequestofBehalfOf locatization (Under the Admin menu).

Cheers,
    David
    This was pointed out by Nicholas in his post above, section 3  :) 

• Nicholas_VelichNicholas_Velich Cireson Consultant Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    @David_Meldrum Definitely understand the need here-- there are a lot of "John Smiths" out there :) . Unfortunately, Extra Props could not be quickly/easily added to this. The call this picker is using to retrieve the users is GetUserList, which only returns the Id and Name (same as a normal user picker); however, the difference between the RO page picker and a typical user picker on a Work Item form is that the Work Item form picker uses an internal call to grab the additional properties for the user after selection, whereas the RO picker does not. This could certainly be implemented for the RO picker as well, but would take a bit of development effort.

@john_doyle As @David_Meldrum mentioned, a simple override is a great approach here. On that note, if anyone is planning on changing the wording so that "Yes" would hide the box, and "No" would show it, you could most quickly accomplish that by changing the button labels defined on line 10. You could also change the order by switching the two <input> tags if you like.
  • Brad_McKennaBrad_McKenna Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the code @Nicholas_Velich & @Adrian_Paech! I picked this up last night as this was exactly what we were looking for!

Was thinking we should add this to the Community or Cireson Uploads section :smile: Would be happy to add your behalf's as I think this is a nice add-on!
  • Nicholas_VelichNicholas_Velich Cireson Consultant Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Glad it worked for you @Brad_McKenna

I have created a post in the Uploads section for this customization here: https://community.cireson.com/discussion/1898/create-request-on-behalf-of-radio-buttons-and-text-change
  • alex_kokinalex_kokin Member IT Monkey ✭

Any change some here can help me get this working?

https://community.cireson.com/discussion/comment/5767