Home Analyst Portal

Once a request is 'cancelled' it cannot be re-opened?

Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
Once a request is 'cancelled' it cannot be re-opened?

Is there any way around this?  Or is this a feature request?

Answers

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feature request may be a stretch here unfortunately, because if I'm not mistaken ITIL tends to take the approach of a Cancelled being a final resting state of sorts as it may impact SLOs (i.e. Closed Incidents shouldn't be Reactivated). With respect to SCSM, this could potentially skew your reporting depending on what metrics you're looking at.

But it doesn't change the fact that you can still "technically" do with within SCSM. So if you really want to do this your best option is going to be a custom SCSM Workflow or custom SC Orchestrator Runbook.
  • Rob_SimonRob_Simon Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    As Adam mentioned, you're not supposed to based on ITIL but we do it once in a while via PowerShell. The one this to mention is that for SRs is that the workflow may not function properly afterwords which leads to re-creating the SR after all.
  • Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

The problem is staff will occasionally 'cancel' a request by accident.  The metrics argument goes out the window because now we have to open a 2nd request.  ITIL needs to understand that technology needs an 'undo' button.   Just my thoughts...

I appreciate the responses/feedback.

• Jeff_LangJeff_Lang Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    @Jason_Meyer if by request you mean service request, then as long as it has activities you can click the return to activity button in the portal and save the sr. Once the default workflows run in the background the sr will be set back to in progress and the activity you clicked the return to on back to in progress and activities after that set to pending.

this should work with CR's that have activities as well although i've never tried it on cr's before
    @Jeff_Lang raises an incredibly valid point.
    edited February 2019
    Thanks Jeff, most of our SRs do not have Activities.  Analysts, just like users need a 'undo' button.

Just learned that a 'completed' SR can be re-activated sort of by using the SEND EMAIL function within the portal. A Completed SR can be set to HOLD status.

Still looking for that undo button though...

• Gabriel_LencesGabriel_Lences Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

We're currently in the process of finishing up our first company branch implementation to our portal and one of the things I wanted to explain to the analysts of the branch were the "ticket statuses" and this is actually one of the few things that suprised me that it can't be done.

But I understand that the philosophy behind this is probably like others pointed out that a cancelled SR with no activies shuold be probably cancelled due to a valid reason without any needs to be "reopened".

ANYWAY, I've created this visio diagram explaining how the statuses work in the Cireson portal (at least for SRs), can anyone here confirm my diagram is designed correctly? (we use the Autoclose app - 7 days for automatically closing the tickets)

edited May 2020

That looks right to me.

The only exception being (as you said) that automatically being marked as Closed in 7 days is a function of "Auto-Close" which would vary between organizations.

Yes, mentioned it also in my post that this is something that it's thanks to Auto-close and would differ from orgs. Thanks for confirming the info in the diagram though Adam, glad i got everything right 😁

Also worth mentioning that I'm pretty sure this is the identical flow for Change Requests as well.

• Mikkel_MadsenMikkel_Madsen Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

@Gabriel_Lences

A ticket without activities does have the "In Progress" status in between the New status and Submitted.

If you make an new request and hit F5 several times right after creating the request you will se it

Just as info - not ment to destroy your beautyfull Visio diagram 😁

@Mikkel_Madsen I noticed this long time ago! I just thought that it has something to do with our powershell scripts which are responsible for generating activities, that's why I didn't include this in the diagrams. So this looks like it's default behaviour of portal / SCSM, am I correct?

I think so 🤔

The history log actually confirms the process: New -> In Progress -> Submitted