Home General Discussion
Options

Get Last Modified date for PowerBI report from SQL

Chris_SpragueChris_Sprague Customer IT Monkey ✭

I am trying to get the last modified date from the database for reports in PowerBI to be used for request management as well as management level reports. I attempted to use the last modified date from here: http://www.techguy.at/system-center-service-managersql-query-to-get-a-full-list-of-your-incidents/, however, it was not giving me the latest time a comment was added to the request. I think searched through the relationships in the ServiceManager Database and come up with the SQL below. While it gives me the correct date in most cases, there still seems to be some NULL entries. Can someone point out what I am missing?

If needed, I can upload again after I have added comments to the SQL.

Thanks,

Chris Sprague

SCCM/SCSM administrator

City of Richmond

Answers

• Options
    Nicholas_VelichNicholas_Velich Cireson Consultant Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Hi Chris,

I think you're very close here, and just a couple tables need adjustment. Currently, the table "MT_System$WorkItem$TroubleTicket$ActionLog_Log" is being used, but this table contains quite a bit more than user comments. For example, system messages about review activity voting are stored in this table (and shown in the action log).

Instead of the above table, take a look at the "MT_System$WorkItem$TroubleTicket$UserCommentLog" and "MT_System$WorkItem$TroubleTicket$AnalystCommentLog" tables. These tables store User Comments and Analyst Comments respectively (these are different classes behind-the-scenes!).

For example:

Here we have an Incident with a comment of each type:

Here is how the analyst comment appears SQL-side:

Here is how the user comment appears SQL-side:

Also, if some values are coming over as NULL, make sure you have a case statement to handle work items that do not yet have a user comment.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Nick

• Options

I had tried using the user and analyst comment log, but I could not get that to have the correct date, no matter what I attempted. I was using the relationship id below.

System.WorkItem.TroubleTicketHasAnalystComment 835a64cd-7d41-10eb-e5e4-365ea2efc2ea AnalystComment AppliesToTroubleTicket

For the Case statement, I was using the MAX function, which I think should return the latest date. I really do not know SQL and was following the example, looking at other relationships and attempting to follow the code as a template. Is the relationship above the right one? I was using the table MT_System$WorkItem$TroubleTicket$AnalystCommentLog_Log and that relationship in place of the action log,  dbo.MT_System$WorkItem$TroubleTicket$ActionLog_Log :

SELECT

--Look at all, return the latest

MAX(LastModified) AS Expr1

FROM

(

--check SR change log

SELECT

MT_System$WorkItem$ServiceRequest_Log.EntityChangeLogId

, inc.BaseManagedEntityId

, ecl.LastModified

FROM

dbo.MT_System$WorkItem$ServiceRequest_Log

INNER JOIN

MT_System$WorkItem$ServiceRequest AS INC

ON

INC.BaseManagedEntityId = dbo.MT_System$WorkItem$ServiceRequest_Log.BaseManagedEntityId

LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.EntityChangeLog AS ecl

ON

ecl.EntityChangeLogId = MT_System$WorkItem$ServiceRequest_Log.EntityChangeLogId

UNION

--Check SLA instance (in the original, not sure if needed)

SELECT

SLALog.EntityChangeLogId

, EntityChangeLog.LastModified

FROM

dbo.MTV_System$WorkItem$ServiceRequest AS inc

LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.Relationship AS rel

ON

rel.SourceEntityId = inc.BaseManagedEntityId

LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.MT_System$SLA$Instance$TimeInformation_Log AS SLALog

ON

SLALog.BaseManagedEntityId = rel.TargetEntityId

LEFT OUTER JOIN

EntityChangeLog

ON

SLALog.EntityChangeLogId = EntityChangeLog.EntityChangeLogId

WHERE

(

rel.RelationshipTypeId = 'BA08F9BB-85C7-20D8-05E3-0035938CDDD5'

)

UNION

--Check Action log

SELECT

TroubleTicketLALog.EntityChangeLogId

, EntityChangeLog.LastModified

FROM

dbo.MTV_System$WorkItem$ServiceRequest AS inc

LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.Relationship AS rel

ON

rel.SourceEntityId = inc.BaseManagedEntityId

LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.MT_System$WorkItem$TroubleTicket$ActionLog_Log AS TroubleTicketLALog

ON

TroubleTicketLALog.BaseManagedEntityId = rel.TargetEntityId

LEFT OUTER JOIN

EntityChangeLog

ON

TroubleTicketLALog.EntityChangeLogId = EntityChangeLog.EntityChangeLogId

WHERE

(

rel.RelationshipTypeId = 'a860c62e-e675-b121-f614-e52fcbd9ef2c'

)

)

• Options

I figured it out: relationship must be  rel.RelationshipTypeId = '79d27435-5917-b0a1-7911-fb2b678f32a6'

System.WorkItemHasCommentLog

• Options

Final Scripts, if anyone else is doing PowerBI custom reports. This is for live, SQL, not DW.

These are made to be joined together and give you combined IR/SR/MA reports.

Combined as table WorkItems

Calculated Column for last modified

#if there is no lastmodified, then set to end date, if no end date, set to opendate.

Last Modified = if(WorkItems[LastModified],WorkItems[LastModified],if(WorkItems[End Date],WorkItems[End Date], WorkItems[Open Date]))