Home General Discussion

Community "Open Floor" Meetup

Comments

• Steve_WrightSteve_Wright Cireson Support Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

I'm looking forward to hanging out with everyone this Friday!

@Emma_Jenkins , @Robin_Waarsenburg I hope you can join us!

Thanks,

• Robin_WaarsenburgRobin_Waarsenburg Customer IT Monkey ✭

Unfortunately not. I had other obligations.

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Everyone! We're planning on having another Open Floor Meetup on Friday, 7 August at 8am PDT! Once again, please let me know if you want to be on the call!

• Steve_WrightSteve_Wright Cireson Support Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Thanks @Justin_Workman

Looking forward to getting together with everyone! Please feel free to share any thoughts or suggestions for these open floor meetings ahead of time!

Thanks,

• Emma_JenkinsEmma_Jenkins Customer IT Monkey ✭
  • Ralton_StewartRalton_Stewart Customer IT Monkey ✭

@Justin_Workman add me please, can you tell me how long the session is?

@Ralton_Stewart - The timing can vary. We set it for a half hour, but it has gone at least an hour every time. I'll get you added! 😃

• Peter_MuttenthalerPeter_Muttenthaler Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

@Justin_Workman: Could you add me please. I hope I can join this time ;)

Got you added @Peter_Muttenthaler!

• Brad_ZimaBrad_Zima Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Justin, this sounds like fun, could you add me please?

@Brad_Zima - Got you added!

• Mikkel_MadsenMikkel_Madsen Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

@Justin_Workman

I will try my best to make this one!

• Gabriel_LencesGabriel_Lences Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Count me in, as usual. 😉

@Gabriel_Lences @Mikkel_Madsen - You guys have been added!

• Peter_MiklianPeter_Miklian Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

I got an idea about the last discussed topic of ticket comments auto-saving in portal. Many participants had counter argument 'I often do mistakes/typos/want to add something right after writing my comment so I won't be happy if ticket would auto-save after clicking the Add comment button'. The solution is easy and nice in my opinion: get inspiration here on the community forum: add Edit button next to each comment so analyst can change it for some time like 4 hours from comment addition.

@Justin_Workman, @Adam_Dzyacky, @Shane_White, @Gabriel_Lences and also others involved, what do you think about this? Thanks.

• Shane_WhiteShane_White Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you saying that the comment would be added, and saved, but editable for 4 hours?

edited August 2020

Yes, exactly. The same as in Community forums :)

Comment can be easily changed using PowerShell so I hope this can be done from portal, too.

Question is notifications: what would happen after editing? Default bind to last modification date would send new notification which is good in my opinion - the recipient wants to get updated version of comment.

• Shane_WhiteShane_White Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion would be no, once a comment is saved, no one should be changing it regardless of the situation, but definitely curious to hear others thoughts!

We did actually have another discussion around this internally and came up with the idea of maybe so buttons, Add, and Add + Save, to give people the option or something around that decision process.

Regarding decisions like these, I'd say get a few really good UX experts on these topics as our ideas and suggestions might not be really optimal.

My 2C's here:

I believe it's all the manner of getting used to how a system works an adjusting oneself to the system. We have the portal in the current state where the comment is committed when you apply save. So you actually have the chance to "edit" the comment even now (copy the comment - hit F5 - paste the comment back into the comment box make necessary changes - hit save). I get that the edit comment functionality by providing a button for it would make it more convenient.

On the other hand we have a system in our company where autosave is enabled the comment or whatever you change in the task / ticket is automatically committed once you make a change. So I don't know about the others, but when I work from this system I usually double check what I'm typing before sending it off to the air. And I'm more cautious when I'm changing some fields etc. And this isn't a bad thing.

At the end of the day, it's just about getting accustomed to how a system works. That being said, I still think decisions like these should be done by some really skilled UX experts on how to make life for end-users and analysts easier (mostly users though!).

One thing to be aware of: If I was a regular user of the portal who logs into the portal once a while and a comment would save right after hitting 'Add' , I would probably be wondering : "Well , what are the Save , Cancel , Apply buttons for?" in the best scenario. In the worst (more probable scenario) , I wouldn't even notice these and would assume auto-save works on everything (such as when I add a file , etc).

Think this through, a lot. :)

I'd still recommend hiring a UX expert or two, because those always come in handy when making decisions like these. What we found out during our redesign of our portal is that often times our vision and opinions as "IT" (especially analysts, who usually lack the end-user perspective) can be totally out of what's user-friendly and functional. 👍️

edited August 2020

Btw, I believe you already have a pretty good solution to this 😉 Next time you're typing a comment on the community, notice the buttons. "Save draft" (which I also noticed your text gets auto saved as a draft after a while by itself anyway) and "Post comment".

Save draft basically allows you to come back later to the thread anytime without losing the inputs and you can change them anytime while Post comment commits the actual comment. I think this is a good design, the main obstacle on the portal for this are the additional "Apply, Save, Cancel" buttons (not present here on the community, which makes it apparent to how you apply a comment) which can be confusing as stated in my comment above.

You can edit your own posts here on the community as well, not sure on what's the best solution to this as I see the post-editing of the comments user friendly but at the same time , if there's no button through which you can view the "edit history / comment history" , there shouldn't be any post-editing options as you stated @Shane_White . So if there ever will be an option to post-edit comments in the portal, I'd suggest a button that will show you / take you to the comment history.

There goes my 2C's....guess I just made it 3. 😁

The only post editing function I sometimes miss is the ability to make a comment private / non private

That was one of my primary inspirations for building comment editing in the first place!

I think the biggest problem in our experience is that the users just don't see the buttons in the bottom bar and therefore never click the save/apply button in the first place. Because the bar is a darker color and sits essentially on top of the black Windows taskbar in a full screen browser window it is kind of camouflaged. This has been a problem for us not just for comments but any changes to a work item.

• Emma_JenkinsEmma_Jenkins Customer IT Monkey ✭

Our Users complained about this too, they claimed to have responded and it didn't save but when we talked to them it became more apparent that they didn't see the save button and despite to popup message they exited the WI anyway. We introduced the Save on Add feature and have had no complaints since!

I think we (I? ☺️) quite hijacked this thread. (Comments or general) auto-saving is topic big enough to have its own thread. Could some moderator create it and move last comments?

Layout of action buttons deserves own Feature request :) Out users were complaining for their (in)visibility and forget to click them, too. So our web developers in cooperation with UX changed them to be more visible like this:

Having Save/Apply/Cancel/... buttons more visible OOB would be much appreciated :) Thanks.

Think we might have another big topic (or a continuation of the old one) for the next open floor meeting. 😁

We too have increased the size of the drawer buttons and combined it with @Martin_Blomgren pulsating save button

By the way I saw he had made a new version where the save button was jumping instead 🙂

Just semi-finished working on something very special I've prepared for the next meeting, excited to hear what the Cireson community *wink wink* will think about it.😉😁