Home Asset Management

Bulk export and edit of Hardware or Software Assets

Anikke_BukowskiAnikke_Bukowski Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hi,

Apologies if this information is available elsewhere, but I have searched high and low without success.

I am hoping that someone can tell me a supported way to export to Excel the details of hardware and software assets.  The "Export Selected Items" options in the Cireson Asset Management > Hardware Assets section of the console appears to have a limit on the number of assets that will be exported.  For example, if I select 2000 assets, only one is exported.  If I select 20, all are exported.  Is there documentation on what the limits are an how to export all assets?

Likewise, is there a supported way to bulk update assets using Excel?

Regards

Anikke

Best Answers

• Michael_BaldryMichael_Baldry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There isn't a button specifically for editing hardware assets, but if you click on the "Search" button, it allows you to select either Hardware Asset or Software Asset, put in some optional criteria, and then hit "Search". Doing that will open a hardware sheet with assets that you can modify, and then click "Import All Hardware Assets" again to upload the changes back to SCSM.
  • damon_mulligandamon_mulligan Cireson Consultant Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016 Answer ✓
    Thanks Michael. If you are only updating a few assets, you can select the rows and click on "Import Hardware Asset(s)". If you have loaded a large amount of assets, but only changed a few, this will help with the save time.

Answers

edited August 2016
    There are 3 ways to do this.

Select All Tips: If you are in a view of several thousand assets or any items with SCSM, and you select all, you must wait for the amount of selected items (which will display right below the task pane heading) before you attempt to export. This is standard SCSM functionality and why it probably only exported 1 item when selecting a large amount and all when selecting 20. I have not run into any limits on any of the below options.

Options 1: "Export Selected Items" Task. If there are several thousand items, it may take a few minutes, but you will be prompted to open once it is done.

Option 2: After you Ctrl-A or select your items in any SCSM view, do a copy paste into excel. This option will not bring over headers as the above task will. 

Option 3: Download the Asset Excel App. https://support.cireson.com/software/#/  Search on "Asset Excel"
  • Anikke_BukowskiAnikke_Bukowski Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hi Damon,

thank you for your response.  That's largely answered my question, but I don't see a way to update hardware assets using Asset Excel.  I see that I can add new assets, and cost centres, orgs, locations etc, but not edit the full set of Hardware Assets.  Is that correct?

• Michael_BaldryMichael_Baldry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There isn't a button specifically for editing hardware assets, but if you click on the "Search" button, it allows you to select either Hardware Asset or Software Asset, put in some optional criteria, and then hit "Search". Doing that will open a hardware sheet with assets that you can modify, and then click "Import All Hardware Assets" again to upload the changes back to SCSM.
  • Anikke_BukowskiAnikke_Bukowski Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Thank you.  That sounds like what we're looking for. 
    edited August 2016 Answer ✓
    Thanks Michael. If you are only updating a few assets, you can select the rows and click on "Import Hardware Asset(s)". If you have loaded a large amount of assets, but only changed a few, this will help with the save time.