Home General Discussion

Cireson Setup fails to create SQL database

Hi all, I'm running into an issue where the Cireson Setup application can't create the SQL DB. Here is what the logs say:

8/12/2020 7:21:51 AM Attempting to create ServiceManagement Database Logins 

8/12/2020 7:21:51 AM Failed to create management database logins SCSMDevServiceManagement on SQLServerFQDN\Instance : A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 25 - Connection string is not valid)

8/12/2020 7:21:51 AM Failed to create management database logins SCSMDevServiceManagement on SQLServerFQDN\Instance : A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 25 - Connection string is not valid)

8/12/2020 7:21:51 AM Set recovery to simple. ManagementDBName:SCSMDevServiceManagement SQLServer:SQLServerFQDN\Instance

I've tried:

• Making sure both my account and the account used for application pool user are dbcreators on the SQL box (even sysadmin for testing purposes)
  • Testing with both accounts being Domain Admins, just to eliminate permissions issues
  • Verified successful pings to and from the SCSM server and the SQL server, as well as testing TCP over the SQL port

The fun part is, I have already done this in my Proof-Of-Concept environment, and I don't remember having as issue. I looked at that server just to make sure I was replicating those general settings (different DBs though of course). If anyone can think of anything I'm missing or haven't tried yet, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

Best Answer

• T_R_Ash_McCan_1T_R_Ash_McCan_1 Member IT Monkey ✭
    Answer ✓

So I figured out my issue - i did not need to specify my sql instance because it was the default instance, even though i needed to on the previous install!

Answers

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you including any special characters in the SQL Server name? The errors say connection string is not valid. That leads me to believe there was just a failure by the installer to properly build the connection string with the most likely cause being some string parsing issue.

No special characters, just upper and lower case letters. It is 24 characters long. I wonder if there is a character limit?

I just tried with a similar name, just 14 characters, same failure.

The proof of concept I did for this is actually installed on the same SQL server, just different SCSM box. So I know this SQL box can do it.

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

SQLServerFQDN\Instance - Can I assume that's not your SQL server name? I would go back through the installer and make sure you set the correct SQL server name in all the right spots.

You are correct, I am just stripping away the company details for this thread. 😁

I have literally copy/pasted the same server\instance from my previous install that worked, and just given this DB a different name

Answer ✓

So I figured out my issue - i did not need to specify my sql instance because it was the default instance, even though i needed to on the previous install!