Home Service Manager
Options

Resolution list changes

Peter_MiklianPeter_Miklian Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

I need to extend Incident Resolution list to better track reasons for cancelling tickets.

When adding child list item I get error in my prod environment. I can create new items and their children but not child items of default items.

I know that I must not delete default items as this would break some workflows (https://cireson.com/blog/creating-the-perfect-scsm-cleaning-up-out-of-the-box-clutter/, section Sealed Lists), but they can be modified.

My other question is: how can I store my custom items and children in separate MP? Could anyone advise? Thank you.

Answers

• Options
    Shane_WhiteShane_White Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Peter_Miklian

The first time you add an item to this list it will ask you what MP you would like to add these too.

I would use PowerShell to find where some of the earlier added ones were placed and in which MP.

Then I would use a bit of MP authoring to make sure all Enums are then stored in that same MP.

If the MP however is an Out of the Box one, I would remove them and place them into a Custom MP.

As for that error you are seeing there, have you tried finding the Enum via powershell?

I cannot say I have ever tried to add a child to an Out of the Box enum but

Thanks,

Shane

• Options
    Peter_MiklianPeter_Miklian Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Hi @Shane_White, thank you for your answer.

I know that first time I'm asked to enter MP. But can I initiate this prompt later?

I deleted the custom MP I created for the first time. Now when I add new list items they go to the default MP without asking. Which is not what I want. I want them separated in my custom MP.

As you can see in picture below when I added new 1st level Resolution Category to the list I can see it when resolving IRs. But child items aren't displayed. This is in my lab (portal version 10.2.1.2016). In the prod I cannot see even those 1st level changes (portal version 9.4.1.2016). CB restarted, of course. Any hints?

Could you check in your lab those child items visibility (maybe bug in Cireson portal?) and if you can add child items to OOB list values (maybe it can't be done and is not error in our environments). Thanks.

• Options
    Shane_WhiteShane_White Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Peter_Miklian

I think you can but the guarantee of the prompt isn't always going to happen, sometimes when you delete the MP it was chosen to be added to then you get the prompt. Sometimes you have to then define a custom MP, and add them in there, and I think then subsequent ones get added.

You would also need to check there is no Enums in the Out Of The Box MP.

This is why enums are so important to get right with best practices at the start 😉

As to the Cireson Portal, you will need to restart IIS (probably just need to recycle app pool, but just to be sure), then you should see those enums appear in the portal! Tested in my lab and got it working after doing this.

Thanks,

Shane