Home Self-Service Portal - Community

Creating multiple Configuration Items from a Service Request

Hopefully I can explain this well, basically we have a need for users to enter information in a Request Offering and have that information create one or more Configuration Item records. Is there a way to do this with runbooks? We currently do something similar with long lists of items in csv format, but the customer would prefer that not be used this time.

They want something like this:

Asset name: Asset1, Asset2, Asset3, etc.

and so on.

We are currently using SCSM 2016 and Orchestrator 2016. I didn't know if there was a way for SCORCH to read through the inputs and create each CI separately.

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!

Answers

• Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.

Hi @Ian_Stephenson

Yes, this is possible from the Orchestrator side, but from the RO side, things will get pretty unmanageable fast. How many CIs do you need to support in one RO? Are all the fields text inputs or will you need to pick a location from a object picker?

When entering multiple CIs data, ensuring the order of the data is aligned for each object will not be a great user experience.

I would have thought a single RO for each CI to be repeated as needed would be much simpler and if that's too slow, you might need a custom 'Quick Create CI page'

Geoff

• Ian_StephensonIan_Stephenson Customer IT Monkey ✭
    edited December 2020

Hello @Geoff_Ross !

You're basically confirming what I had already experienced in my testing. I honestly don't know how many CIs may need to be created, the examples I was sent show up to 5 in some cases but I wouldn't be surprised if more were needed. Some of the fields are text inputs, but several are simple lists because I wanted to limit what users could enter.

My hope was to use the single RO for each CI, but the process that this is being created for involves documents to be submitted for signature/review that will have asset info listed for all CIs that will be created, not just one at a time unless that is all the user needs to submit for.

• Alex_MarshAlex_Marsh Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

I had a similar requirement and I used a csv to create all of the objects. RO just contains the class type and an attachment property. Orchestrator get's the csv and creates all the CI's

It's not elegant but it is effective