Home Asset Management
Options

Issue Removing Property from Management Pack

Raul_NoaRaul_Noa Customer IT Monkey ✭
I am trying to remove properties and change the data type on other properties in one of the software asset management packs and Service Manager is giving me errors on import because the old properties are missing after I've deleted them. Is there a way around this? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the interest of getting you an answer more quickly, I believe you are supposed to delete the management pack, then import the new version.  As you may know, this could have the effect of deleting objects that have the class in your MP, so it is not desirable in many cases.

Having said that, perhaps someone else knows a way to accomplish this while preserving the objects and their data?  I would also benefit greatly from being able to delete or change properties in existing MPs without losing data (except of course from the given property--that would be an acceptable loss).
  • Options
    Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi,

I am not aware of anyway of dealing with this. Its the way service manager handles management packs. It why at Cireson we recommend breaking up your customisations into different management packs, even if you extend the same class several times.

The only option, is to export the objects with powershell, delete the MP, import the new MP and the re import the data but you will lose the history.

Geoff
  • Options
    damon_mulligandamon_mulligan Cireson Consultant Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    I assume this is a custom management pack you extended. You cannot change data types, you would have to delete the MP from SCSM and change it in Authoring Tool or Visual Studio and re-import. Or create a new property with a slightly different name and just hide the original property from all views and form customizations. However, it will still display in the out-of-the-box extensions tab.
  • Options
    Steffen_DobritzSteffen_Dobritz Member IT Monkey ✭

I want to delete and reimport a custom form based on my custom incident class. I define class and form in separate mps. Both MPs are sealed.

In the past I run into issues with respect to the data warehouse. Because I deleted the MP with my class definition, then I deleted or changed property types, and then I sealed the mp again and imported it.

Do u think I can run into similar issus if I do so with a form customization, where I delete some controls e.g.: label and listpicker? Because the documentation says:

Only sealed management packs, and their corresponding data, are synchronized into the data warehouse.