Home Asset Management
Options

SW Asset Type

Jordan_BrodzinskiJordan_Brodzinski Customer IT Monkey ✭

I am creating software assets and I am just wondering what people typically put in the "SW Asset Type" drop down field. I do not really see much of a useful function for the field. Maybe some examples would give me a better understanding of what the field is trying to get at.

Answers

• Options
    Steve_WrightSteve_Wright Cireson Support Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hi Jordan,
    I don't think there is a simple or standard answer to this question.  I think the approach would be to consider what useful information could be captured when applied across all software assets. This field could be used from a financial view to identify tangible/intangible software assets, or a utility view in terms of server/client/mobile.
    It might be something you consider after looking at the scope of software assets you are collecting.

I hope this wasn't too vague. I'd like to see some of the SAM folks chime in!

Thanks,
  • Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jordan_brodzinski - what about "Per Seat" or "Subscription" ?

• Options
    Steven_WillisSteven_Willis Customer IT Monkey ✭
    I think it is pretty dependent on your environment. I am using the per seat/subscription as suggested by Adam, but it certainly could be used for other purposes. One thing I have run into with similar 'Asset Type' fields is that they need to be set to something. We had a situation where we had not set the field to anything and the workflows were not functioning.