Home Analyst Portal

Extend AD User Details

Luca_LandiLuca_Landi Customer IT Monkey ✭
Hi,
I need to display "manager" AD field in the 'user details View' (/user/UserRelatedInfoById/<userdGiudID>) or others infos as, for example, the "Account Expiration date".

The first info i see that is not directly contained in the AD User class, but I don't know how to obtain this using Cireson API or custom extension (writing into custom.js).

Can you help me?

Note: I'm using Portal V6.

Thanks,
Luca

Answers

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you wanting to extend the User Details form that appears when you click the (i) icon next to the user?
    If this is the case then this is not easy and is better to actually replace this screen with a custom one.

I have seen several customers do this to great affect.

I know there is discussion about re-working this form in a future release (Maybe v8) but I have not seen that confirmed at this stage. (Maybe a good candidate for a feature request)
  • Leigh_KildayLeigh_Kilday Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it'd be possible to add additional AD fields to this view; fields are limited to what the AD Connector pulls from AD, and that aspect isn't configurable. As long as it's a property of the User CI object it should be available.

Brett_Moffett, can you share the method for adding fields? I suppose it depends on whether the Manager relationship is part of the type projection used for this form.

I show how to extend the AD User and Group class in my blog post here: https://systemcenternoise.wordpress.com/2015/02/18/scsm-vip-user-solution/

You can extend the class as much as you want, but you can't change the connector to bring additional details in from AD. For that you have to find another way to drag the information in, such as the Asset Import Tool.

Adding fields to the AD User form in the portal is a different matter and as I shared in the last comment to this post, I wouldn't bother, but rather replace the form with a custom one.

One of the community members I know has done this in the past, but I'm not sure if he is willing to share it yet.
  • Luca_LandiLuca_Landi Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Thank you all for answers.

The VIEW that I would change is not quite the form that opens when I click the icon (i) near to a user name, but that which is achieved in the same form when you click the button "View More Details" that send to link: http://example-portal.com/user/UserRelatedInfoById/299d5abc-b8a2-7a39-8ef1-2f96f04cc252 s (link invented)

In SCCM I have already imported mentioned AD infos that I need through the special connector, and I can use them into SCSM or Orchestrator Runbooks.

I have already built custom code in VisualStudio to extend the capabilities of the portal in order to handle the display/hide of RequestOffering, using some permits of the logged user instead of the Service Offering permission, and it works well. But I had to change a line (only one) of the code of an original Cireson portal View to insert my wrapper and the thing I did not like much.

Apart from making a new custom page to get my goal, there are some APIs or examples  to suggest from which to take inspiration?

Thanks

• Erick_MejiaErick_Mejia Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hello

Do you have any updates on this topic? I need to add the employeeID and then relate to the computer when I assign the primary user. Please help!

Hi @Erick_Mejia

What are the exact needs that you are after?

From what I can see you need to store an additional property called EmployeeID against the AD User CI and have it display where you would like it to. (User CI form etc.)

However, I want to make sure that is all you are after or if you want that property to display elsewhere.

Also, where will SCSM be retrieving this information from? Is there a property in AD that is currently used for the EmployeeID? For example: Not many people use the Pager field in AD anymore and therefore some customers use this field to store other information such as $ value that the use has authorization to approve on PO's.If you have a location where you get the EmployeeID from we can ensure it is setup correctly to take this info.

I can create a quick Management Packs that will extend the AD CI for you but I want to make sure that the solution delivers what you need for your job rather than just extending the product for the sake of it.

• Erick_MejiaErick_Mejia Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hello

Thanks for answering.

The request I have is that they want to be able to capture and view the Employee ID field in the Hardware Assets capture form (Form.png) and include it in the report (Report.png).

As I see this field is included in the AD connector as shown in the Capture.png image.

I hope you can help me.

I see what you need.

The EmployeeID is a standard field in the AD fields and does get synched with SCSM and the data is held in the [MT_System$Domain$User] table within the database.

When writing reports it is all about linking the tables together to show the data that you need in your report. However, it is not reporting we are doing but rather returning the information within SCSM. In the same way that joins work in SQL, Type Projections are used within SCSM.

A type projection has a base table (In this case the Hardware Asset) and then linked tables like the Affected user, Created user, Assigned user, Primary User, Custodian user etc. that all point back to a relationship in the User table.

There are very far reaching Type Projections that you can use, such as the Hardware Asset (Advanced) type projection, however it returns data for any and all items that are related to the Hardware Asset and that might be too much data to return and therefore impact speeds of the system. So you may have to create a custom Type Projection that just returns the Hardware Asset and the Primary user.

You can then use that projection to show the data on the form. Personally, I would not do this in the SCSM console as you would have to author a new form and the authoring toolkit isn't exactly known to be the most friendly program available.

I would instead do this via the Cireson Analyst Portal and create a new HardwareAsset.Template file that would lay out the data in a simple edit style based on JSON formatting. I cover this in the Master class topic within https://learning.cireson.com/course/master-class/

However you do need Cireson+ membership to access this content. For more information on Cireson+ please contact your Cireson representative.