Home Analyst Portal
Options

Scoped Global Search

Robert_OsterbergRobert_Osterberg Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

Hey All

Is it possible to select wich classes is searchable for enduser and analysts?

as far as i know endusers can search and view the information on any property of the class i choose to promote in the global search.

So for example an enduser should only be able to search for incidents and not on Hardware Assets hope this makes sense

Have great day.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

As it exists today - no.

But if you wouldn't mind expanding upon this a bit, what other use cases come to mind for you and/or your organization?

• Options

Ok i will try

I am thinking that we could decide what would be searchable for each type of user. So our analyst can have a wide variety of classes to search from and the end users can search IR and SR for instance. maybe there information that is key for analyst but we dont want to expose that to end users.

It could function as you add a AD group with access to search certain records, i see a huge potential in this feature for analysts and mostly Service Desk so that is why i am asking.

have a great day!

• Options
    Emma_JenkinsEmma_Jenkins Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hi @Adam_Dzyacky , Robert,

Having just had a go at configuring Global Search in my Dev environment I noticed being unable to separate what End Users can search and what our Analysts can search will probably prevent me going any further with this feature which is sad because for our Analysts this would be an amazing tool but I don't think we can open the portal up so much to our End Users.

Right now our End Users can only search Knowledge Base and the Service Catalogue, that is all they need. Their work items are in the My Requests view. They could access another work item not related to them if they knew the URL but otherwise there is a barrier there making sure they only see what they need.

If there was a way to configure separate searches to restrict End Users in particular while giving our Analysts the full benefits of a Global search that would be huge!

• Options
    edited February 2021

Have a look at this search at the meantime

Portal Asset Search — Cireson Community

You can filter this based on Analyst property in a JS file this is how we do it. works really well

• Options
    Gabriel_LencesGabriel_Lences Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Just jumping in this thread because probably everyone at Cireson would be suprised if I didn't (hehe). This was / is my biggest feedback on GS since day 1 it was released - mind the date - we're talking about December 2019. @Emma_Jenkins I'm also sad it's still not in there, I'd actually expected it to come out with some sort of basic scoping at least when it came out, but hey, what can you do. 🤷‍♂️😔

• Options
    Mikkel_MadsenMikkel_Madsen Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

To help getting this a bigger attention I'll jump in too - @Adam_Dzyacky Can you help on this one - is scoped access or difference in analyst/end user views in Global Search coming soon?

• Options
    Mikkel_MadsenMikkel_Madsen Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

@Emma_Jenkins

This might help you - From the release notes of latest portal 10.4:

Global Search - Ability to enable/disable GS for End Users

• Options
    Emma_JenkinsEmma_Jenkins Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hi Mikkel, Thanks for that it was brought up as part of the demo at the Open Floor Meeting last week :)

• Options

I think it probably goes without saying that Global Search is rather large in terms of its capability and we still are looking to add more functionality to it. No less as it pertains to:

• Replacing the current out of box search, along with offering functionality such as saving/editing searches and filtering
    • Preserving dashboards that are tied to search queries
    • Offering more levels of customization
    • Continuing to be performant

And last but certainly not least:

• Respecting every single customer's RBAC

While this specific item (Global Search Scoping) isn't part of Q1/Q2 given some of the other features we are bringing to SCSM. It is not to say that it won't make an appearance on updated Roadmaps for this year. Which I will of course be updating on that thread as we begin to wrap up Q1.

😁

• Options
    Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Thanks for the work and info on Global Search.

Just throwing our organization on the pile that can't implement until scoping is available.

In our environment not being able to scope what the users can search on is currently a show stopper for Global Search for us. Our analysts would really benefit from being able to search Action Log updates and History but we can't expose ticket details to 'users' that are not part of the ticket and sounds like Global Search as is, would enable them to see ticket details that are not theirs.

Appreciate the work and the push for making scoping available.

• Options
    Answer ✓

Global Search Scoping has arrived with v11.2!