Home Service Manager

Emails not going out

Kevin_GoodwinKevin_Goodwin Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

We have a number of workflows in SCSM that handle sending emails to analysts and users for various situations. There have been a number of times lately where those emails just stop going out. I look at the workflow log in SCSM and it shows everything up to date, and succeeded. However I do a message trace in Exchange and past a certain point there is no record of an email going out. I have tried restarting the System Center Data Access service and this has had no affect. The only thing that seems to work is rebooting the whole server stack.

Has anyone ever seen this happen or have any ideas as to what is causing the problem?

The last email that went out was the one at 11:45AM

Message trace from Exchange Online. Time is in UTC, and we are PST, so the message trace lines up with the log above, but only for the first two workflows. None of the rest appear to have made it.

Answers

• Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you using the Notify analyst app?

• Kevin_GoodwinKevin_Goodwin Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

No, just using subscriptions through SCSM.

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kevin_Goodwin - Are there tokens in your subject line in your notification template? I have seen instances of emails failing to go out because the subject line is too long. The workflow itself doesn't report failure, but the email doesn't go out.

Are they any logs in the Operation Manger log?

Here is one of the templates in use that should be going out. The workflow still shows as running and successful. No changes have been made to our email templates or subscriptions in over a year.

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's the size of your work item Ids and/or the length of some Tier Queue names?

I found this in the Ops log:

Well there is your issue in the Ops log.

Got to review your SMTP connection settings along with authentication.

So I'm not sure if it changed, or how it changed if it did, but the primary authentication was set to Windows Integrated. I changed it to Anonymous and restarted the service and notifications are going through again.