Home General Discussion
Options

Activities will not change status after the prior Activity completes.

Eric_EvansEric_Evans Member IT Monkey ✭

I have an activity that applies the correct template based on value within the ARO. The issue is, once the new template is applied all the activities associated wit that template go you a pending status. Even if I put the first on tin an In Progress status, as soon as it completes, the others remain pending. Is this an issue in sequencing in the MP?

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓

@Tony_Collett Thanks to your suggestion, I was able to figure out my issue. It seems like the PSA that was setting the template became actually an activity in the applied template, thus giving it the sequence number of 0. By going into the template's MP and adjusting the sequence numbers starting at 1, I was then able to put a snippet in my template setting PSA that would put sequence number 1 "in progress". After that activity finished, it flowed like it's supposed to. Also, please note for people new to this process (like me) Parallel Activities (the activities inside) start back at zero. Once you are out of that activity, you resume from where you left off. I hope this helps

Answers

• Options
    Tony_CollettTony_Collett Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

You may want to check the Sequence ID of the activities. Once an activity completes, it will pass the update to the activity next in line based on Sequence ID - if you have your first activity as Sequence ID 0 and then the next one is ID 2, then it will try to pass data to ID 1, which is not there and therefore get stuck

• Options

@Tony_Collett Thank you for your response. Resequencing did not work. I think the issue is that the first activity is carried over from the initial template(it isn't even in the future templates management pack) Which got me to thinking.... Can I accomplish what I need by creating dynamic activities instead? Is there a way to make activates and "insert" them into an SR via Powershell?

• Options
    Answer ✓

@Tony_Collett Thanks to your suggestion, I was able to figure out my issue. It seems like the PSA that was setting the template became actually an activity in the applied template, thus giving it the sequence number of 0. By going into the template's MP and adjusting the sequence numbers starting at 1, I was then able to put a snippet in my template setting PSA that would put sequence number 1 "in progress". After that activity finished, it flowed like it's supposed to. Also, please note for people new to this process (like me) Parallel Activities (the activities inside) start back at zero. Once you are out of that activity, you resume from where you left off. I hope this helps