Looking for advice: Filtering support groups by category or other input
For example, when a category is chosen--let's say "Printing"--the Support Group dropdown list is filtered to show only the Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 groups who can handle printing requests or issues.
The filtering of the list seems to be the easy part, by comparison. The difficult part is deciding where and how to store the mapping of categories to groups, so that it can be easily maintained as our processes and resources change.
Ok community, how would you suggest designing this without creating a maintenance quagmire?
Some examples to get the discussion started:
- Hard-coding the values in an array object within Custom.Js (I almost want to downvote myself for including that!)
- Creating a separate DB, perhaps with a web service to call, that stores the category and support group values and presents a join table/view
- Creating each of the categories and support groups as objects in the CMDB, with relationships, and trying to keep them in sync with the enum values
- Store the mapping in a flat file and parse it using SCORCH/SMA after the ticket has been saved, then update the ticket
- ** [Your infinitely better suggestion here] **