Home Service Manager
Options

Can we create SCSM Groups of workstations based on installed software?

Ian_StephensonIan_Stephenson Customer IT Monkey ✭

We are trying to create a dynamic group in SCSM. The group is all workstations that have Python installed. I've tried a couple of different classes but can't seem to find one that will pull the workstations into the group. Is there a way to do this, or do we need to just create a static groups of the workstations and update it as needed?

Answers

• Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

If Python is listed as Installed Software on the Computer CI, then I believe you should be able to pull this off with a Type Projection.

• Options

Would that be a Type Projection already in Service Manager or would we need to create that?

• Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Cireson Asset Management has this Type Projection (Hardware Asset -> Software Asset).

But AFAIK this doesn't exist out of the box between Computers -> Installed Software. However creating a Type Projection isn't difficult thanks to Projection Builder.

• Options

I figured that was the case. I don't believe the organization is planning to use Cireson Asset Management any time soon so I'll see about either trying out the Type Projection or just trying something else.

Totally random follow up question, but do you happen to know what the Config Item Class of Collection Info is supposed to pull in? I've tried making a view with that to see if it will display the SCCM Collections we import but the view never pulls in any info...and I can't seem to find information about that specific Class anywhere.

Thanks for the help!