Home Analyst Portal
Options

Is there any downsides of using Viewes vs Queues on Cireson Portal?

VikVik Member IT Monkey ✭

Hi Guys,

We're implementing limits to what analyst can see in Cireson Portal (EG: Only incident related to their Suport Group) and i noticed that this can be achieved by using Viewes and Queues to show the incidents in the portal.

I want to know which of Views or Queues would be better to achieve our goal. I know that MS said Queues will hammer the workflow server if using lots, but we won't use a lot of queues if we so decide on it.

Many thanks.

Best Answer

• Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Views and Queues are two very different concepts, but at surface level appear to operate the same.

• Views: A means to look at a group of Work/Config Items that meet a specific criteria
    • Queues: A means to segment a group of Work/Config Items that meet a specific criteria

Take the following example, I have 200 Incidents in Service Manager. 100 of them have a Support Group of IT while the other 100 have a Support Group of Human Resources. You want to make sure that only IT sees IT Incidents and HR only sees their Incidents. You want to prevent these teams from being able to view each others Incidents. If you use a...

• View: You can build 2 Views that only show IT Incidents and HR Incidents. In this way, the View is just filtering the 200 Incidents down to 100 per view. However members of those teams could lookup and view Incidents assigned to the other team. Even if you prevent them from seeing the other View, they still technically could search and find Incidents beyond the 100 they work with.
    • Queue: You can build 2 Queues, one is all Incidents with a Support Group of IT and other with a Support Group of HR. You assign these two Queues to two different User Roles. When an Analyst navigates to let's say "Open Incidents" or "My Work" they only have access to the 100 Incidents. In this way, a single View now serves multiple purposes based on what they are scoped to see.

That said, there isn't really a wrong or right answer here. What this ultimately comes down to is - do you need to keep work segmented between different teams or not.

Answers

• Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Views and Queues are two very different concepts, but at surface level appear to operate the same.

• Views: A means to look at a group of Work/Config Items that meet a specific criteria
    • Queues: A means to segment a group of Work/Config Items that meet a specific criteria

Take the following example, I have 200 Incidents in Service Manager. 100 of them have a Support Group of IT while the other 100 have a Support Group of Human Resources. You want to make sure that only IT sees IT Incidents and HR only sees their Incidents. You want to prevent these teams from being able to view each others Incidents. If you use a...

• View: You can build 2 Views that only show IT Incidents and HR Incidents. In this way, the View is just filtering the 200 Incidents down to 100 per view. However members of those teams could lookup and view Incidents assigned to the other team. Even if you prevent them from seeing the other View, they still technically could search and find Incidents beyond the 100 they work with.
    • Queue: You can build 2 Queues, one is all Incidents with a Support Group of IT and other with a Support Group of HR. You assign these two Queues to two different User Roles. When an Analyst navigates to let's say "Open Incidents" or "My Work" they only have access to the 100 Incidents. In this way, a single View now serves multiple purposes based on what they are scoped to see.

That said, there isn't really a wrong or right answer here. What this ultimately comes down to is - do you need to keep work segmented between different teams or not.