Home Service Manager Portal Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

Is it possible to connect the "Search" capability to the Service Manager data warehouse?

Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
We currently 'archive' tickets at three months and rely on old data heavily.   Would it be possible to point the 'search' function in Service Portal, to the data warehouse so that we are actually searching ALL Service Manager content, versus what is only available in Service Portal?
21 votes

Completed · Last Updated

v12.1 of the portal is out with the ability to use Global Search to find items from Analytics Archive.

Comments

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jason_Meyer - This is a good idea!  You could add the DW database as a source for a SQL table widget.  If you left a query pretty broad and include replacement tokens, you could use a table widget like a dynamic search.
  • Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great suggestion--I was about to make it, myself!

I received a bug ticket from an unhappy user about the lack of this, over the weekend.  Sending them to a separate SSRS server to use canned reports is not what I would call an "elegant" solution for them.

This seems like low-hanging fruit to me.
  • Ben_NelsonBen_Nelson Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    This would be awesome, especially if it is an option in search.  A toggle button to include archive in your search.
  • Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Second! err.. Fourth!

Regardless of an organization's Work Item retention policy, having to always explain to folks that "It's different for Incidents than it is for Service Requests, Problems, and Changes." That's just a lot of small nuances to memorize/keep handy to understand if the portal/console can be used or you need to run to an SSRS report. Not to mention, I don't think that the target audience for reports is analysts but instead management. If you're moving through SCSM as analyst, running a report "some times" is just a weird experience since it's not part of their daily workflow/processes. Hooking up the portal search to the DW would only stand to make SCSM more approachable and useful for the people it's meant to serve - analysts.
  • Mikkel_MadsenMikkel_Madsen Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

It would be nice :)

• Sean_TerrySean_Terry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

This seems like something that could enhance the product a lot. I'm surprised it hasn't got more votes or hasn't made it onto the roadmap.

For our organisation, archiving of tickets is something that crops up all the time and even without attachments, comments or ticket history, the idea that warehouse data could be pulled back for staff to view from the portal, it would be a huge benefit to us.

As @Adam_Dzyacky mentions it would be easier for managers and we wouldn't have to explain the retention periods we have, how and where to access SSRS,

This is actually a feature we've had located in the "under consideration" portion of the roadmap wherein you could "view groomed work items in the portal."

We're still working through this, but in a very imminent release of the portal we'll be making some key enhancements to Cireson Analytics that makes even more data available for reporting (even beyond what's in SCSM DW). I'll have a blog post/community thread that goes into those changes in depth in the coming days.

All of that to say this - these are all steps towards the larger goal of viewing groomed work items and not having to understand said technical nuances that I listed above.

v11.5 of the portal is out with introduction of the Archiver for Analytics. Now you can retain the full Action Log, History, relationships, and permissions of groomed out Work Items!

• Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Really excited to see this in action Adam, congrats on the announcement!

• Simon_ZeinhoferSimon_Zeinhofer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

@Adam_Dzyacky

One question about the Archiver (beside the fact that this is mega awesome :) )

What decides if the work item is still shown in the portal? If I truncate the workitem and lastmodified table to resync, are these archived workitems still in the portal? Just for my understanding :)

Great question @Simon_Zeinhofer.

With v11.5 you will now always see the Work Item in the portal regardless of the state it is in. Whether or not you can edit that Work Item is ultimately based on if its been groomed out of SCSM or not.

I believe in the case you cite, you'd probably have a brief blip where its only in the Archive before Cache Builder gets the Work Item synced back in and you can return to editing it.

Hello @Adam_Dzyacky ,

thanks for the fast response :)

So for my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, work items in the portal were shown based on the entries in the workitem table - which was the reason why no work items were shown for a short time when this table was truncated.

With the archiver, has this switched to the analytics table? And if the work item is in the WOrkItem table it will be set to "editable", that would explain what you mentioned - "a brief blip where its only in the Archive".

Or am I completely misunderstanding that? :D

We already installed and tried the archiver, it is working amazingly!!

I'd say you got it @Simon_Zeinhofer. 😀

@Adam_Dzyacky One amazing feature would be, if we could search for such work items directly in the global search ;-) But that would be luxury :)

This functionality was a game changer for us here with the Cireson Portal.

Used hourly in our organization.

Much appreciated.

Go team CIRESON!

• Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.

Just to add context to @Jason_Meyer, with Cireson Portal v12.1.1 release last week, you can now include archived items in the scope of Global Search. Look for the Archive checkbox in the Global Search settings per class.

edited January 24

Thanks Geoff. For some reason we haven't deployed the Global Search in our environment, something about us having multiple directories connected and results showing multiple times. It was at least 12 months ago when we visited it so I'm not remembering it.

The 'archived items' are already currently showing up in the normal Work Items results.

Will explore "Global Search" to see if that gains us any functionality or why we haven't deployed it fully.

Thanks!!