Home Asset Management
Options

User Based Software License

James_JohnsonJames_Johnson Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Does anyone have some thoughts on what the best way to manage software licenses that are user based and have expiration dates based on when they were purchased? Basically I need something like Hardware Asset warranty system for Software Assets.

Right now I'm creating a new license for the software asset for each user with them as the custodian and then adding them as an authorized user. It mostly works but is pretty cumbersome.

Just curious what others are doing for this situation, thinking about doing some extensions but not sure what the best way would be yet.

Thanks!

James

Answers

• Options
    Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @James_Johnson

The way you are approaching it is about the only way to do so with the granularity of data that you are after. I have seen customers using an AD Group as the affected user of the license to group a bunch together, however you lose the granularity of when a specific user was first licensed etc.

The only other way I can think of doing this would be to use a Support and Maintenance agreement for that "License" and you would have the features available for that contract type.

It would still be messy though.

Hope this helps