Home Community Uploads

Cireson Partners, Customers and Community members share your customizations and examples here to help benefit the community as a whole to earn Kudos and badges.

DISCLAIMER

All files and projects located here are provided and come "as-is" and without any warranty or support. Use at your own risk. Your use of Community Uploads is subject to our Terms of Use.

Cireson does not and will not support or maintain these enhancements, extensions, and scripts.

For Team Cireson uploads click here.

Create related CR

R_DelawderR_Delawder Member Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
edited November 2021 in Community Uploads
One of the features that our users missed when moving from full client to the portal was the create change task that created the CR and automatically related it to the IR or SR that was open when using the task. As I have used a few of the custom task provided on here I decided to post the custom task for creating related CR here in return.  
This is based on the convert IR to SR script found on the download page. 

UPDATE BY Geoff Ross

Code moved to Github:
https://github.com/Cireson/Community_CreateRelatedCR

Comments

• Joe_BurrowsJoe_Burrows Cireson Devops Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work @R_Delawder, thanks for sharing
  • Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome!
    Very useful task that.
  • Peter_SettlePeter_Settle Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

@R_Delawder Whilst this is a very useful addition to the system, we are experiencing a quirk (which may not be related to your coding).

When we use this function it appears to be Auto Saving the CR within approx. 1 minute.

This is detrimental to our users as the CR is being submitted to Change Management with vital info missing, even though they have not as yet clicked SUBMIT (Save).

We also have automation which is kicked off but has no effect as information is missing, change team are having to re-run the automation.

We do not want to turn this function off as its useful, but at the moment users have been instructed not to use it until the auto save can be resolved.

Is there a timeout that needs changing somewhere as this happens on both Live and Dev environments.

• Silas_SulserSilas_Sulser Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    many thanks for this useful upload!
  • Steve_ClarkeSteve_Clarke Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

Well I'm about 3 years late to the party but just wondering if anyone has managed to alter this code so that it does not automatically save the changes?

As @Peter_Settle pointed out this can kick of workflows before you are ready in some cases.

It would be nice for it to open the template and copy across the details, then leave it to the user to hit save.

This code calls the API POST to create the CR in the template selected.

As there is no "Staging" screen for the CR to go in to this is the only way to achieve it.

If we wanted to copy the details in to a CR and show it on a form but not commit it until the user clicks save then we would have to add a new procedure that would open a NEW template and post the data to the screen only. This would probably be in JS rather than in the supporting code behind the website.

Another way would be to create the CR templates with a status on "On Hold" (Or something similar) and then change that value to kick off any workflow. I have seen other customers do this so they could hold CR's in a "Creating" state so they could gather more information over time then only when they are ready, submit the CR in to their internal process. This has been very useful for them.

@Ryan_Kennedy1 might be able to provide more detail on how they achieved it in their environment.

Thanks Brett. Hope all is going well mate, haven't bumped into you for a while.

Actually your second option sounds pretty good as that has been a regular request as well. Might be able to kill two birds with one stone.

I think DPTI might have done something similar as well in regards to placing CR's on hold until they are ready to submit them.

• Ryan_Kennedy1Ryan_Kennedy1 Customer IT Monkey ✭

The way we've done it (I am with DPTI btw Steve) is that the person logging a change request goes in / creates it as per usual / saves it. However, the initial activity in the Change Request is a MA called "Initiate Change Request". When this activity is In Progress, JavaScript hides the activities tab and there is a "Submit" button down the bottom. The MA isn't assigned to anyone / so noone is really aware of the change at this point. When you click on "Submit" it asks you to enter the Peer Reviewer / Submission approver / a couple other approvers. We have class extensions on the CR class for these relationships and also a boolean class extension for "ChangeReadyToSubmit". JavaScript populates these relationships and checks the ChangeReadyToSubmit box.

We then have a workflow that is triggered on ChangeReadyToSubmit being ticked. PowerShell then runs to populate the RAs within the CR with the appropriate approvers and completes the "Initiate Change Request" activity.

The workflow probably isn't necessary / all of this could have been done through JavaScript but I guess at the time this approach seemed easier.

Thanks Ryan (sorry the name didn't click when I read Brett's post).

We do the peer reviewer etc a bit differently so I will have a think about how I can make the ChangeReadytoSubmit piece fit.

• Zach_FlesherZach_Flesher Member IT Monkey ✭

This task worked perfectly until we upgraded our portal to 11.2.1. Now when we try and create a CR off of an IR or SR ticket the prompt pops up and you can select the required Change Request template but you can't go any further past this point. Has anyone else ran into this issue or might know what the solution would be to fix it?

Thank you to everyone for any help that can be provided.

Zach Flesher

• Nick_FlintNick_Flint Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

We're experiencing the same issue. I haven't found a solution yet.

• Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.

Hey lovely community people

I have taken this code, fixed this bug, updated a few other bits in line with current standards etc and moved to GitHub. Link in original post.

Geoff

• Zach_FlesherZach_Flesher Member IT Monkey ✭

@Geoff_Ross

This worked perfectly. Thank you so much!

Just having a think about how this works, the change requests do have a status list that they use. By default, the value is not available to end users to set. In this case that might be a positive for us.

If we added a "Draft" status and you set the template value of all of your CR templates to Draft then when they were created they would automatically be put in to the Draft state. This would then nagate the requirement for an activity to take the extra steps.

• Sean_TerrySean_Terry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Is there an easy way to hide the default templates for change requests?