Home Service Manager

What is the right Exchange Connector and EWS API for Service Manager 2019?

VikVik Member IT Monkey ✭

Hi Guys,

I am deploying SCSM 2019 and now configuring Exchange connector. I've added the connector to exchange and enabled impersonation. All looks good, but the connect status shows "Never Run". I used Exchange Connector 4.1 and EWS 1.2.1.

Do you know which version of the above is the right for SCSM 2019, please?

Thanks

Best Answer

• VikVik Member IT Monkey ✭
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

Hi @Peter_Muttenthaler and @Justin_Workman ,

I was looking into this yesterday and the TLS was indeed the issue. Our Exchange Server has TLS 1.2 enabled but our SCSM Server was trying to use TLS 1.1 instead to communicate with Exchange. Enable TLS 1.2 wasn't enough, i had to do the below.

Disabled TLS 1.1

Add reg keys into your SCSM Server:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319]

"SystemDefaultTlsVersions"=dword:00000001

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319]

• Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Restarted the server and voila...Emails started being processed.

Many thanks all for your help, and hope this helps someone in the future too.

PS: I'd give you both the correct answer, but seems not possible to set both, so I'll mark this as the answer so people will find the full solution.

Answers

• Peter_MuttenthalerPeter_Muttenthaler Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Hi Vik,

Issue already solved?

Exchange 4.1 Connector should have everything you need included. Also the installation steps are described in the included PDF file. I use it for several customers and have no issues (like in old versions).

Hi @Peter_Muttenthaler ,

I've deployed the connector but it's not processing any incidents from email for some reason.

I'm getting these errors in EV:

"Exchange Connector: Failed to poll the inbox at https://exchange2013server.domain/ews/exchange.asmx for new mail, details: The request failed. The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."

Ever seen this before?

Thanks

Hi @Vik,

Exchange Connector is a little interesting to configure.

The first thing I would try is to open a browser and try to open the link you have entered.

Probably the issue is already there. Is your user in the logon as a service group?

Link to xapity, that helped me many times:

SCSM Exchange Connector - Installing, Setup and Troubleshooting (xapity.com)

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

That error makes me wonder if there's a TLS configuration difference between the WF server and the Exchange server. Is that possible?

That's a great hint @Justin_Workman. The error is quite the same (e.g. in SCO).

Changing SCSM to fully operate with TLS 1.2 would be the solution in that case.

edited February 2022 Answer ✓

Hi @Peter_Muttenthaler and @Justin_Workman ,

I was looking into this yesterday and the TLS was indeed the issue. Our Exchange Server has TLS 1.2 enabled but our SCSM Server was trying to use TLS 1.1 instead to communicate with Exchange. Enable TLS 1.2 wasn't enough, i had to do the below.

Disabled TLS 1.1

Add reg keys into your SCSM Server:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319]

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319]

• Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Restarted the server and voila...Emails started being processed.

Many thanks all for your help, and hope this helps someone in the future too.

PS: I'd give you both the correct answer, but seems not possible to set both, so I'll mark this as the answer so people will find the full solution.

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome @Vik! Thanks for sharing!

• Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

If this helps for others with the same issue.

Posted the script the addresses TLS on windows servers, include an option to set TLS 1.0 back on for Troubleshooting.

https://github.com/beowulf005/TLS-Config/blob/main/Set-TLS.ps1

• Matt_Howard1Matt_Howard1 Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

I'm bookmarking this thread for our 2019 upgrade this year. @Brian_Wiest your script looks similar to mine after UR14 for 2012 R2. Love the prompt for choice bit, didn't know about that.