Home Orchestrator

Loading smlets fails

Simon_ZeinhoferSimon_Zeinhofer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
edited February 2022 in Orchestrator

We currently installed a new Orchestrator 2019 version.

We have 2 runbook servers and on every of these 2 servers I installed the Module smlets via "Install-module smlets -Scope CurrentUser" with our SCO Serviceaccount. After that I changed the psm1 file as described in the manuals on the web.

After that I can import the module and use all smlet commands. But whenever I try that with a .net Activity in the Orchestrator Runbook Designer (not the Tester), the error message "The term 'get-scsmclass' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet,...". I also added the Reg DWORD "OnlyUseLatestCLR" and set it to 1. Server Restarts etc., all didn't work.

I also tried installing it with the .msi file on github, but alsowith that it is not working. Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Best Answer

• Simon_ZeinhoferSimon_Zeinhofer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I found the solution. Apparently, it is not enough to have a machine path variable - at least on our servers.

I copied the SMLets content to C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules and after that I logged on locally with our SCO Service Account.

I entered the following command in a Admin Powershell:

And voilà, it is working. I also did that for the 2nd runbook server and it immediately worked. Maybe this helps someone who has the same problem :)

Answers

• Matt_Howard1Matt_Howard1 Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

It almost sounds like the module is not installed for all users. What do you have in the .Net Activity? Do you include Import-Module SMLets in the body of the script?

If you run (Get-Module -Name SMLets -ListAvailable).ModuleBase, what path does it show for you? I have the module installed globally so my path shows Program Files:

C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\SMLets\1.0.2016.0

If it is installed in the CurrentUser scope, it will default to %USERPROFILE%\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules

Hello Matt,

for testing I installed it via Install-module for my admin user, but I also installed it via the MSI. It is very strange, because when I install it via the msi, it gets installed into the \windows\system32\windowspowershell folder and not into the porgram files.

To test it i copied the content into the program files\windowspowershell\modules folder, but even then the error occurs.

Yesterday I tried imprting it with the full path "C:\windows...\..\SMlets", which is functioning without any problem. I also controlled the psmodule variable, which is pointing to all destinations, where SMlets is installed.

On my 2nd Runbook Server it is exactly the same issue.

Answer ✓

I found the solution. Apparently, it is not enough to have a machine path variable - at least on our servers.

I copied the SMLets content to C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules and after that I logged on locally with our SCO Service Account.

I entered the following command in a Admin Powershell:

And voilà, it is working. I also did that for the 2nd runbook server and it immediately worked. Maybe this helps someone who has the same problem :)