Home Analyst Portal

Global Search - Search for Closed tickets

Brian_WinterBrian_Winter Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

We found out yesterday that the Global Search on Incidents (and I suspect SRs) only returns Active work items. Is there a way to search ALL work items, including Closed? We have a lot of analysts who want to go back and see how many times a problem occurred or what a previous solution was. Can't do it if you're only looking at Active.

Answers

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brian_Winter - Maybe an Odata table widget targeting closed (or all) incidents would be a better fit? You could use the filter mechanism that comes on odata grids like a search.

• Brian_WinterBrian_Winter Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Hi @Justin_Workman - Can you either guide me or point me to some simple examples? I haven't dived into the Odata pool, so this is new territory for me. I can code all day with SQL or even the Cireson Search, so I don't expect this to be TOO difficult.

But, just so I'm on the same page, you recommend not using the Global Search, but creating a custom grid page, correct?

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Global Search currently does pull back all objects of a class regardless of their status. In my lab I have a mix of Work Items all with different Statuses. Just pulling back one...

The next question I have is what is your Data Retention for Incidents as defined in the SCSM console?

@Brian_Winter - It looks like @Adam_Dzyacky has dispelled the notion that GS doesn't bring back closed items, but just for completeness what I was suggesting is doing a dashboard page with an odata table widget that targets /platform/api/Cached_MT_System_WorkItem_Incident:

(FYI Source_Id in this context is the Work Item Id.)

You could then use the search box to filter the results:

Hey @Adam_Dzyacky !

Our data retention is actually set to 10 years (3650 days). We can pull a closed Incident via Legacy Search, but nothing displays in the Global Search.

So, since I saw you can pull closed tickets, I tried an experiment and it turns out I can pull closed tickets, but this one special one. It was created by a PowerShell script monitoring a server. The ticket was Created,(Active) to Closed inside of 2 minutes. Skipped Resolved altogether. Could it have been missed being picked up into the Platform Cache (I'm guessing the Cached_* tables are the Platform Cache)?

Anyway, it looks like a one-off. I'm about to rebuild the Cache in the next hour or so.

Yes the Cached* tables are Platform Cache.

Also - hey!

So the IR isn't in the Cached_ table so it looks like it wasn't picked up. I don't know what the job uses as criteria to pick up records. Anyway, I'm going to run the Resynch and see what happens.

@Brian_Winter - You might just double-check in Dynamic Data Configuration that the Incident class is being brought in?

Yep, it is. Seems that particular incident is a one-off (maybe). But I did spot a problem. Our Refresh rate is the default 10 minutes. But because we're bringing in almost everything, including the Action Log, it appears to run a lot longer than the 10 minutes. Looking at the logs, it appears that it's been over an hour just trying to pull 2 million plus Action Log entries.

Hey all,

I am circling back. I've worked through most of my education with Search, Platform Cache, Archive, OData, and Data Retention. Just had a huge success with installing 11.6 in Non-Prod (Q) and set Data Retention from 10 years to 60 days and cut my SCSM Work Items to 1/10! AND yet still am able to pull up in reports and links and Work Item Search any old ticket (9/10ths of them are not Archived).

HOWEVER, the reason I return to this thread is that I found that Platform Cache and, therefore, Global Search only retains the non-groomed, SCSM Work Items and didn't retain the old Archived WIs. I then tried Legacy Search - no luck, but Work Item Search works great. So we have a way for people to at least do a search. BUT, the interface is what I'd call "Advanced" and many non-IT users will not be able to do a basic search. Thoughts?

I'm guessing Work Item Search looks at the WorkItems Table in the Cache db. So any way to make a simple interface that hits either WorkItems or maybe even Analytics db?

Just seeing if anyone has an idea for a Simple Search like Global Search or Legacy Search that will include Archived/Groomed WIs?

• Simon_ZeinhoferSimon_Zeinhofer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

@Brian_Winter

This is on the roadmap for 2022:

• Thorsten_MewesThorsten_Mewes Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hey all,

since roadmap 2022 is long ago, i was hoping this was already implemented.

But when testing i am not able to find archived workitems via global search. I must admit we are fairly new to archiving via analytics and using global search, so maybe we are missing on something here...

What is the status on this one? Should it work with portal version 11.8.4?

The ability to search the Archive via Global Search is currently in beta. If you're interested in trying it out I can get in touch with you.

I only have the alpha. Be great to see what improvements the beta version has! 🤤

• Thorsten_MewesThorsten_Mewes Customer IT Monkey ✭

@Adam_Dzyacky , would be great to see what you have to offer 😉 btw we are tied to baseline, if that's an issue.