Home Asset Management

User's Assets

I have Asset manager and I want that the end users can see their assets in the web interface. I can see the assets of users when I click on the "i" button next to user when he/she rise a resquest but end users can't see their own assets on any menu?

How can end users see their assets?

Answers

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Aybars_Kutluturk

This is a very interesting idea.

There are several ways that you could do this and would depend on what End User experience you wanted:

You could:

1) Create a custom view for the end user that would show just their Assets. This would be either a SQL query dashboard or an oData dashboard that uses the logged on user as the search criteria.

2) Create a custom SQL query that could be called when a task, button, image, table is clicked or loaded to then fill in that data for them. This could be in the form of just a text display that they could then click a button to modify that would take them to a custom form, or a Request Offering that would raise an SR to make the change ....

In short there are ways to do this. I would start with how you believe your users would use it and get the most benefit from it then talk to your friendly neighbourhood Cireson account representative and see what it would take to build that out.

Unless someone here in the community could share what they have done..... Anyone?

Hope this helps

Brett

• Simon_ZeinhoferSimon_Zeinhofer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

@Brett_Moffett and @Aybars_Kutluturk

We created a new navigation page, with the name "User Information".

This page consists of multiple dashboards, one of them is called "My Hardware Assets", with the followng query:

SELECT [HardwareAssetID] AS Inventory,
    [HardwareAssetHasCatalogItem_DisplayName] AS Model,
    [HardwareAssetType] AS Type,
    [HardwareAssetStatus] AS Status,
    [SerialNumber] AS Serial,
    [AssetPurpose] AS Purpose,
    [ControlDate] AS Date
     FROM [ServiceManagement].[cachert].[csnCached_HardwareAsset]

WHERE 

ConfigItemOwnedByUser_BaseManagedEntityId = @UserID

AND
    LanguageCode = 'ENU'
    AND
    [HardwareAssetType] not like '%Virtual'

Order by HardwareAssetType

The asset purpose and controldate are custom fields, which we need to control assets, which are inactive for a long time. The HardwareAssetType "Virtual" is for our virtual clients to be excluded. So you might need to delete these 3 values for the query to work ;)

As users are not allowed to assign Assets themselves (it has to happen with a request offering filled out by a Helpdesk employee/local IT Administrator), this is sufficient for us :)

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one @Simon_Zeinhofer 👍️

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for Sharing @Simon_Zeinhofer

Sharing cool little queries like this is what the community is about. 🤩

• Simon_ZeinhoferSimon_Zeinhofer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
  • Jeff_LangJeff_Lang Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭

This can also be done via modifying the Users Profile page, we added an "Assets" tab to this, and have a list of the assets they are a custodian of, also any non standard software, assets they were the last logged on user to etc, and also list all direct reports and other items.

here is the custom js (not the entire file) for pulling the assets they are a custodian of, as well as the software we wanted to display. (yep i know the code is ugly, this one I inherited from elsewhere :))