Home CMDB Portal

Examples of CI class - network hardware and SSL cert

Marek_LefekMarek_Lefek Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Hi,

How did you organize CMBD for:

1. Servers - with WIN or LIN - use class Computers or use class Cireson Hardware Assets with extensions or create new class from computers or Cireson Hardware Assets
  2. VM serwers - with WIN or LIN - use class Computers or use class Cireson Hardware Assets with extensions
  3. Switches/Routers etc. - create new class from Hadrware Assets, use class Computers or use class Cireson Hardware Assets with extensions
  4. Certficates (SSL) - create new class from license or use class Llicense oraz use class Lease Contracts

For hardware I need to have relations, dependencies from other hardware and software and also option to edit from cireson Excel App. Class computers look the best but it is not visible from Cireson Hardware Asset.

Answers

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

I personally drove all of the above examples from SCOM, using SCOM MPs (Windows, Linux, and Network). Then importing those same MPs into SCSM, the entire discovered inventory would come over, and then using some PowerShell I'd link them all into Cireson Hardware Assets.

Here's one such PowerShell script wherein I used Cireson Asset Management Subnets/Locations to properly place/relate network devices. Using SNMP data, you can go even further to update Cireson Asset Management concepts such as Manufacturer, Model, etc.

I never got around to Certificates beyond just getting them imported from the MPs from SCOM, into SCSM so I could generate Alert/Incidents from them. As you're suggesting you could use Licenses/Contracts and relate the originating CI.

• Marek_LefekMarek_Lefek Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Can we only import SOCM MP for CI classes? We are not using SCOM.

Are there good integration pack for VCentrer?

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I only suggest this route as a preferred mechanism as SCOM would then essentially be a delivery vehicle for Config Items to your SCSM environment and require less effort on your part to create Config Items. Given you are not using it, I would then turn (like you said) to exclusively using Cireson Asset Management.

Servers, VMs, Switches, Routers would all be Hardware Assets. While CAM will natively create Hardware Assets from Windows Computers, the rest of them you'd need to create yourself (perfect job for PowerShell). As long as you create them with Manufactures, Models, etc. you could then use the Catalog Item workflow that exists out of box to perform a match between Catalog Items and Hardware Assets.

In regards to Certificates, you could use Leases, Licenses, or even Software Assets if you so choose.