Home General Discussion
Options

Printer Configuration Items

Larry_GrantLarry_Grant Member IT Monkey ✭

We use a nontraditional print server to manage our printers. This means they are not shared in active directory. I have a list of the devices I am looking for a way to import these printers into SCSM as configuration Items. Would anyone of some information to point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Options
    Simon_ZeinhoferSimon_Zeinhofer Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭

@Larry_Grant You could create a csv file where every printer withall attributes is a new line.

With the help of powershell you could then create a hardware asset for every printer.

Or you use the import asset excel add in (we do not use it so I cannot give any advice on that)

• Options
    Larry_GrantLarry_Grant Member IT Monkey ✭

@Simon_Zeinhofer are you refering to a Cierson Hardware assett? I do not have the asset management component so I am looking to strictly create Service Manager configuration items.

• Options
    Simon_ZeinhoferSimon_Zeinhofer Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭

@Larry_Grant It should also be possible to create OOTB Config Items via powershell, as there is the class 'Microsoft.AD.Printer'.

Before you begin you need to install the smlet module first. With that code snippet below you then get the class and then you are able to create a new object via "new-scsmobject".

$SMDefaultComputer = 'YOURSCSMSERVER'

$class = get-scsmclass -Name 'Microsoft.AD.Printer$'

You would need some experience in Powershell coding though. But from my experience (I also had 0 experience in Powershell coding) this goes pretty fast.

Maybe you have a test environment where you can test that.

• Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're looking for a walkthrough on how to create new objects, you can find it in part 5 of my definitive powershell series -