Home Orchestrator
Options

Creating a runbook from Orchestrator

Sean_TerrySean_Terry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
edited February 2023 in Orchestrator

I've been looking to create an SR, RA and RB from Orchestrator.

All ok except for the runbook. I found some old links which is probably where I have gone wrong:

Add a runboook activity from a runbook – www.contoso.se

For this one I just get the console crashing whenever I try and open the RB activity. I assume the code for the mappings is not right.

SCSM.SE » Blog Archive » Create Runbook activities from Orchestrator

This one I have the PowerShell to apply an existing template to an activity that has been created.

Does anyone have any better examples?

Answers

• Options
    Simon_ZeinhoferSimon_Zeinhofer Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

@Sean_Terry we have 2 different approaches for these type of requests:

1. We just skip all relevant runbooks(except the ones which are independant from userinput) inside the template and unskip them based on the userinput - 99% we use the first runbook inside the SR (mostly it is called "Prepare Data"or so) for that.
    2. We create child requests and apply the SR template to the Service Request, which then contains all relevant activities. This works fine especially when different things are requested and the whole request is not supposed to fail, just because one MA or RA is rejected, e.g. when permissions are requested.

I can provide you with a script for the 2nd approach - It is from a blog but I do not have the link anymore.

EDIT: just found the link:

https://blog.ctglobalservices.com/service-manager-scsm/mme/set-scsmtemplatewithactivities-powershell-script/