Home General Discussion

Service Manager Reports

Sean_TerrySean_Terry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
We use report builder 3.0. Whenever we link to the userdimvw table I can see all the users from AD. However, when I look at the groups it seems to list just the parent folder and none of the groups inside it.

I'd like to point the report to an AD group so I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with this or know of any upcoming changes that might help with this? Dashboard designer maybe?

Answers

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the end goal? Reporting on Work Items per support group?
  • Sean_TerrySean_Terry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Reporting on work items (mainly IRs at the moment) for AD groups. Staff that have been submitting requests via the portal but don't have a support group. Essentially 1 massive team has a number of sub-teams. 1 particular sub team are new to the system and they want to gauge how much they are using it via the AD group they are in. After speaking to various Service Manager support teams it seems AD groups may be the only option in this scenario.
  • Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    S_Terry said:
    Staff that have been submitting requests via the portal but don't have a support group
    The assumption I'm making here is that the staff you are referring to are individual users, submitting emails/Incidents to your IT support desk, thus making them the Affected User's on Work Items, and you're trying to figure out who those individual people are and then perform some logical grouping on them (i.e. the AD group) they belong too?

If the above guess of mine is true, what you're probably really after is a reporting on Affected User's and then grouping based on something like the AD Department attribute (which is synced by SCSM from AD). This would allow you a grouping of like users, and staying all within SCSM and not having to run out to AD to do any SQL joins.

But if I'm mistaken and it's the other way around (you're trying to report on assigned users), then you could still leverage the above idea just against Assigned To User instead of Affected User, or leverage the Created By User from work items and then perform the Department style grouping.

The SQL AD join is possible, but something I see most forego in favor of some other style of grouping (i.e. the department, office values from AD).

• Sean_TerrySean_Terry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    For this scenario then we are looking to go outside of SCSM to AD.

We normally focus reports on the affected user, created by user, assigned to user or resolved by user that are all synced in SCSM. Unfortunately in this scenario the source data is such that this hasn't provided the required information. Whilst we pursue that issue I was looking at alternatives.

So I was wondering if it was possible to go outside of Service Manager and ignore the organisational unit (AD container name) and the department (inside the organisational tab of the user account). I'm looking to see if I can focus on a particular AD group they are in.