Home Service Manager Asset Management Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

Bundle Software Assets that already exist as Software Assets

Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
An ongoing internal discussion with respect to Software Asset is "to bundle or not to bundle?"

Bundling a Software Asset easily lets you roll a group of items together but prevents you from seeing metering data about the individual usage. Keeping Software Assets separate allow you to achieve this level of granularity, but of course comes at the cost of having to track separate items.

It'd be neat if Software Bundles, could be rolled up from other Software Assets to get the best of both of these worlds.
5 votes

Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• damon_mulligandamon_mulligan Cireson Consultant Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    I agree with the feature request, but I just want to make sure you know the "Bundle" in Cireson Asset Management is not used in the standard meaning. It is solely to help with the creation of a Software Pattern, just in case you cannot come up with one pattern to incorporate a single SW Asset Name.
  • Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the feature request, but I just want to make sure you know the "Bundle" in Cireson Asset Management is not used in the standard meaning. It is solely to help with the creation of a Software Pattern, just in case you cannot come up with one pattern to incorporate a single SW Asset Name.
    Yes/no - I think @Brett_Moffett may have pointed out that for the current AM Bundle feature to work all software must be found for it to be included in the bundle rollup (count). If this isn't correct, then your point may negate this request.
  • Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I like this idea.... :*
    So this would work as a replacement for the current bundle set up. This could be done by admins creating a Software Asset for each app that can be detected (Word, PowerPoint, Excel etc.) then "link" them together on a "Bundle" style Software Asset. 
    This Bundle Software Asset would have a Boolean property like "IsBundle" that would then allow the workflow to use the existing gathered information for each of the related Software Assets to calculate the usage and install count.
    If a computer appears in only one of the child assets then that counts as one from the bundle.
    If a computer appears in one or more of the child assets then that still only counts as one from the bundle.

Anything else missed here this would need?
  • Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think so. It appears @Brett_Moffett and I have telepathy on this topic.
  • GordonGordon Member Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

Adam and I actually posted at the same time, but I had a few extra components to mine..here was my feature request..

So right now, you can set up a bundle and pull together different asset records to show a bundle. However, inside of that bundle, it does not show you individual counts or metered data. So if you want to have that, you have to have the individual asset and then also recreate it inside the bundle.

Seems like it would make more sense to create the individual asset, eg word, excel, outlook, etc, and then simply have a feature that allows you to "include" them in a bundle. That could be check box, related items, etc.

So in an ideal world, combine my other request with this one..you start at software item, link off to create the asset, which would capture the meter and install data, then include/link the individual asset in a bundle, which can then be related to the licensing, financials, orders, etc