Home Service Manager Console App Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

Import and manage large lists in SCSM

Mark_WahlertMark_Wahlert Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Hi. I was provided a link to a MSFT xls that provided some steps to import a MP with xml to import, replace, manage large lists in SCSM. For example, when you have 40 or more, it's a nightmare to use the GUI.

The link appears to be broken, so do you have a copy of this solution, or better yet, does Cireson have a updated solution?  The site I was directed too, the comments indicated it was a problematic solution, but did work well for large lists. This was a few years ago.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/servicemanager/2010/02/10/create-list-items-aka-enumerationvalues-in-bulk-using-enumcreator-xlsx/

13 votes

Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• VAGNERVAGNER Member IT Monkey ✭
    The EnumBuilder v.1.0.0.11 don´t import List with more 3 levels!!
    I want a new version... please!
  • Mark_WahlertMark_Wahlert Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

This link seems to work, but as Vagner flags a new version or equivalent would be well received.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Service-Manager-Enum-43e30552

• Tony_CollettTony_Collett Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used the solution provided by @Mark_Wahlert to create a 2000+ item list at my previous job. It did it perfectly, but the instructions were a little hit or miss so it required a few attempts to get right. 

• Adrian_PaechAdrian_Paech Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    You could also powershell it with smlets. Once you have a base function written you can just reuse it over and over for different enums. I can post up an example if you like. 

Have to to admit though, I am moving away from using Enums. I prefer creating / using custom CI classes instead. Is much more efficient, is quicker to update (via powershell) and you can then relate the CIs to any work item without having to create class extensions (as you have to with enums)
    and related CIs seem to be much simpler to reporting on / search on in the portal, which we like.

Just my 2 cents.
    adrian

@Adrian_Paech Thanks for that. Can you provide an example? 

• Adrian_PaechAdrian_Paech Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Attached is an example.

This example PS script shows how we auto-updated our enums based on our current list of customers.

So for each separate AD group within a specific OU, we defined each separate customer, along with their members.

This script enumerates all the groups in that OU, with the prefix "U-Syn", and then auto-creates and/or updates the corresponding enums in SCSM.

Before this script will work, you need make sure your Enum exists. (see AGD.List.Customers.zip) for example management pack.

Hope this helps!

Adrian

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would still be nice to replace the List editing feature "OOB" in the console.
    This could be done either via the portal or a new editor wizard in the console.

The new wizard would need to:
    • Add multiple items at once
    • Click and drag list items to the correct level
    • Import from a CSV or XLS file
    Even if the list editor was a XLS addin like we have for the Asset Excel Addin. Anything is better than the out of the box solution.
  • Leigh_KildayLeigh_Kilday Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    It would still be nice to replace the List editing feature "OOB" in the console.
    This could be done either via the portal or a new editor wizard in the console.

The new wizard would need to:
    • Add multiple items at once
    • Click and drag list items to the correct level
    • Import from a CSV or XLS file
    Even if the list editor was a XLS addin like we have for the Asset Excel Addin.
    Agreed on those features. I'd like alphanumeric sorting too.
    Anything is better than the out of the box solution.
    It is the worst.
    haha yep. The sound of constant mouse clicking to move list items into the correct order gets old fast...
  • Sean_TerrySean_Terry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    It would be great to have a better option. This needs more votes.