Home Service Manager Portal Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

Allow Users to add work items to a "Watchlist"

2»

Comments

• Candice_YeudallCandice_Yeudall Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

So a bit confused here... you are developing a watch list feature but it will not be operational unless the customer develops a runbook? Seems a bit like saying here is a cake and supplying the ingredants but you have to make it. I hope that I am reading this wrong.

Also if you need to create a SCORCH runbook what would you have to have for that to function correctly?

• Conner_WoodConner_Wood Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    this will be only available via the Cireson Portal in the current release definition.
    That's fine.  If a ticket is updated via the console, would a portal that syncs the ticket changes then do what would normally happen if a user had done it through the Portal?

I know if the Cireson ServiceManagement database was refreshed and all tickets were re-synced this could cause a lot of spam so I don't know if you could tell a ticket was simply updated or was created and a notification was already sent out so don't send out another one.....

I'm assuming when a ticket is removed from the console and then removed in the Cireson DB, that the corresponding watchlist rows will be removed as well if the ticket can no longer be found.  Can it be ensured this "removal of Watchlist rows" runs in the middle of the night.... it'd be a nightmare to forcefully reset the Cireson DB cache by temporarily removing all workitems and then the Watchlist table rows go bye-bye.

As for the Features mentioned:

1. Multi-User is fantastic, I'm assuming this will be using the SCSM Domain User Object.  Will it work with AD Group Membership, so if I add an AD Group will it notify both direct and nested users?  If not, will there be a way to make a quick-group of pre-defined users to choose to "watch" the workitem?
    2. Oh I see, notifications are to be handled elsewhere, 3rd Party Wise, by constantly scanning the Watchlist table and then you determine if you want to handle users/groups... what will the table columns be, I'm hoping the answer is something like: AD objectGuid (AD User or AD Group), AD Domain, SCSM WorkItem Guid, AddedBySCSMUserGuid and EntryAddedDate (for audit purposes in case of a dispute)
    3. Can we restrict the editing so that an end user can only add to the watchlist.  This is so no one blames the end user if someone isn't notified when a change is made, and prevents IT not knowing about "why haven't I got notified! I was part of this watchlist, fix it fix it fix it!"
    4. I'm fine with an Analyst editing the Watchlist, again, what will the table columns be, I'm hoping the answer is something like: AD objectGuid, AD Domain, SCSM WorkItem Guid, AddedBySCSMUserGuid and EntryAddedDate (for audit purposes in case of a dispute)
    5. I love the idea of filtering down current items you are watching, I would prefer a Portal View Icon if possible.  Which I assume will be possible as I assume you will save the "Use Watch List" checkbox setting as a boolean when saving a view, correct?
    6. I like the dashboard idea, what chart will it be, I'm having a hard time visualizing what it looks like and what data is going to be displayed.  I'm assuming it'll be a bar chart showing top 10 watchers or something and show how many tickets they are watching, correct?

shaun_ericson said:

This product will NOT implement notifications, that will be up to the clients.

With that said, we decided to not include "notifications" out the gate as this is a core function of SCSM and is not baked into the Cireson Portal.

<3  Congrats on reading this far into my post!  <3

I understand Cireson wants the most important part of the WatchList functionality, the notifying of the people of the Watchlist, to be handled by the IT in charge of the Portal. >:)

Pray tell, if a perfect and customizable notification system was designed, would Cireson be willing to make said design a part of the Cireson Portal and allow SCSM Admins access to it, much like the Admin Settings, just another button to go to the specific Admin WatchList Settings?

Personally I think the perfect design would allow the following:
    • Predefined WatchList Selector Combobox or some other control to view each one
    • Pre-defined WatchList containing Users/Groups - can be added, modified, removed.  Or to all you SQL die-hards out there with your terminology: inserted, updated, and deleted
    • Pre-defined WatchList checkbox if should search and include nested group members
    • Furthermore, the WorkItem Forms (IR, SR, CR, RR, & PR) would have a WatchList Tasks AD Group with Access (similar to the Review Activity Tasks).  Each WorkItem form would have an "Edit WatchList" Permission Level which would allow entering an AD Group so we could have Managers or delegated users also go ahead and edit Watchlists accordingly.  (IT'D BE REALLY NICE TO BE ABLE TO AUDIT WHO IS CHANGING A WATCHLIST WITH A NICE TIMESTAMP IN CASE OF A DISPUTE!!!)
    • Finally, the Cireson Portal would allow not just the multiple user picker, but also adding the members of a Pre-defined Watchlist, it'd speed up time and would make life a whole lot better.

Boom Baby, that's my feedback, you wanted it you got it, bam, bam .... BAM! B)

Edit:  I forgot my password after reading that the Watchlist Out-Of-Box won't have notification functionality, so I was hit pretty hard by this news, the fact that this request since May 2016 has just gone into development and then no notification aspect made me lose it.... the password that is, totally lost it. I've dealt with a lot of unfortunate news, but never has it made me forget my password, hopefully Cireson will consider having some basic notification system in place with further releases
  • shaun_ericsonshaun_ericson Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

If this is the case, do you see foresee Cireson building a relationship to the workitem within Service Manager in a future release? Or subsequently a mechanism to create a relationship or transform this data into a customization within Service Manager?

@Brad_McKenna At this moment we do not see us building a customization or relationship in the SM Ops DB, and typically we have avoided doing our own customizations of those classes as customers have their own customizations and those would clash.
    edited October 2016

So a bit confused here... you are developing a watch list feature but it will not be operational unless the customer develops a runbook? Seems a bit like saying here is a cake and supplying the ingredants but you have to make it. I hope that I am reading this wrong.

@Candice_Yeudall Thanks for the feedback! I do love cake : ), and the whole cake is always good, but we do have to start somewhere (aka ingredients) which is why I stated the following as a preface to my comment:

"Remember we are an agile shop, so R1 may not be everything everyone wants, but after we drop R1 and everyone uses the feature we can tune R1 accordingly."

We can spend months developing something, or weeks to get a R1 out and tune along the way. If notifications becomes the next need here, we can always consider next in the conversation however as of right now we are going to utilize the Dashboard to surface the data. I assume that notifications will be the next thing, however it will be an interesting item to develop as we are not the notification engine. Really interested to see how this bakes with everyone, get feedback and then tune accordingly. 

Also if you need to create a SCORCH runbook what would you have to have for that to function correctly?

It would effectively being reading changes you are concerned with on a Work Item, i.e. modified date, status change, whatever, and then based upon that trigger and someone being on a Watch List, sending an email out.
    @Conner_Wood As we are starting fresh in development, let me take your notes and feedback into our backlog grooming and get back ASAP. Thanks for the feedback sir!
    @Conner_Wood Reviewed your feedback and amazing, much appreciated! All really great stuff.

As we haven't actually started "developing" the solution just yet, we can't answer every question you have as is in flight. We will take your comments into consideration as being developed, and as we are closer to building out the exact functional requirements can share as appropriate. Again, we will take your notes into consideration when go through design, etc...
    Thank you @shaun_ericson for being involved and making an effort towards the Watchlist.  It's completely understandable until you have the actual product, you cannot do an in-depth analysis on it.  I appreciate the consideration, it gives me confidence that feature requests are more than just something to keep the customers busy and/or complacent.  In my opinion, Feature Requests taken seriously by Cireson on implementing what the majority of the community voted for is of the utmost importance.
  • Candice_YeudallCandice_Yeudall Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    I am glad that things are under development, but I am not really sure what the point of a watchlist is if it does not let people know when the WI is changed. Guess I will wait and see.
  • Julie_JohnsonJulie_Johnson Customer IT Monkey ✭
    LOVE this - when is the expected launch/release to the portal?
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    @Julie_Johnson
    Very soon. Its in the next version, expected before the end of the year for sure.
  • Tim_ShackletonTim_Shackleton Customer IT Monkey ✭
    I assume that I will be able to leverage the native notification methods in SCSM (workflows and email subscriptions) to target notifications at the 'watchers'?  If not this feature is largely redundant.
  • james_kleinschnitzjames_kleinschnitz Cireson Dev, Product Owner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Bumping this thread to let everyone know the Watchlist feature is available in the 7.2 release, available today!
    Download now: http://softwaredownloads.cireson.com/#/

Thanks
  • Chris_JordanChris_Jordan Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    Does this feature support SCSM notification subscriptions? i can't see any information about it.
    How do you edit the search filter for the request offering picker list? It's showing all our service accounts etc
    Glad to see this thread isn't locked anymore... with such important feedback in this thread that'd be a shame to forget about.....

I see the Portal admin setting: EnableWatchlist = True

I see the Cireson ServiceManagement DB table known as [dbo].[WatchList]

Yet the only columns are the UserId and WorkItemId......

~~~~~

what will the table columns be, I'm hoping the answer is something like: AD objectGuid (AD User or AD Group), AD Domain, SCSM WorkItem Guid, AddedBySCSMUserGuid and EntryAddedDate (for audit purposes in case of a dispute)

~~~~~

Furthermore, the WorkItem Forms (IR, SR, CR, RR, & PR) would have a WatchList Tasks AD Group with Access (similar to the Review Activity Tasks).  Each WorkItem form would have an "Edit WatchList" Permission Level which would allow entering an AD Group so we could have Managers or delegated users also go ahead and edit Watchlists accordingly.  (IT'D BE REALLY NICE TO BE ABLE TO AUDIT WHO IS CHANGING A WATCHLIST WITH A NICE TIMESTAMP IN CASE OF A DISPUTE!!!)

So basically all Cireson did was make a table with 2 columns, add an admin setting, and then entered in a bit of code on workitems to add to the table for another program to then scan and do with accordingly.......

But I don't see where we can add users to a watchlist, which is really odd.
    Thanks @Chris_Jordan for the info, I was assuming it would be a task on the side and not another control in the form!

Perhaps that's a future feature so we don't have to add the following code to our custom forms?

{
    	name: "WatchList",
    	type: "multipleObjectPicker",
    	PropertyName: "WatchList",
    	ClassId: "10a7f898-e672-ccf3-8881-360bfb6a8f9a", //Microsoft.AD.User
    	PropertyToDisplay: {    FirstName:"FirstName", LastName:"LastName", Title:"Title", 
    				UserName: "UserName", Domain:"Domain", Company:"Company"
    			   },
    	Visible: session.consoleSetting.DashboardsLicense.IsValid && session.enableWatchlist
    }

Although I do really like the idea of choosing what properties to display for the users in a WatchList!

In our badly managed Active Directory, we have way too many unused old service accounts, and it's consuming the result limit and not all our users are searchable on the request offering.

I would have also thought the watchlist user prompt would be better if it was in the request offering solution like the rest of the prompt types, doesn't seem logical that this prompt sits on its own. Also if it done this way you could show and hide the watch list depending on conditions, this is the whole concept behind the advanced request offering solution.

How's everyone else finding it?
  • Brad_McKennaBrad_McKenna Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

@Shaun_EricsonShould we keep our eyes open on here for a SCORCH Runbook to be made available as mentioned back in early October :)

• Joe_BurrowsJoe_Burrows Cireson Devops Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shaun_EricsonShould we keep our eyes open on here for a SCORCH Runbook to be made available as mentioned back in early October :)

Hi Brad

Heres an example emailing watchlist users on a workitem action log comments from an Analyst, im sure someone smarter could come up with a nicer powershell solution rather than use DB queries:

• Eugen_MuellerEugen_Mueller Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Works fine, but a task "Add to my watchlist" on the right would be great
    Thanks @Joe_Burrows for the solution, and @Brad_McKenna another customer did state they would be willing to share what they developed however it is up to them at this point. Don't want to call them out as well of course : ), but it is possible.
  • seth_coussensseth_coussens Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Hello fellow community members! As we consider this 'feature' to be complete, I will be closing this thread. If you find bugs with the feature please submit them via support.cireson.com or if you have feature requests to add new functionality to this, please submit a new feature request here in the community.

I do understand that this initial release did not meet ALL of your expectations, but I hope that you will see it as intended in regards to the new functionality provided here. We have stepped outside the bounds of SCSM for this particular feature and moved the data into our own database. This provides us with a number of new capabilities that were not possible previously:

- You can now build dashboards on the watchlist
    - You can report on the watchlist out of SQL
    - New API endpoints were exposed to allow for integration of the watchlist into other applications

I'm excited to see what everyone does with this new functionality, along with what new features the community would like to see added to it.

Thanks again for all your support!
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Thanks community for all the input on this feature. It's amazing this one thread has had over 1,000 views. Excited to see what the community comes up with next.
This discussion has been closed.