Home Survey App

Creating a random sampling for survey

Steve_WrightSteve_Wright Cireson Support Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
Hi,
I'm posting this discussion point on behalf of a customer who asked the question;

'As the resolution/completion of each IR/SR the email notification to the affected user includes a link to our customer service survey. Instead of emailing all IRs/SRs, is there some way we can send the survey out to every 10th (or 100th) IR/SR that's been closed?'

I'm sure there are ways to 'randomize' the sending of a survey to users and wanted to post a thread here to discuss.

Thanks,

Comments

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done something slightly similar (more of a lottery/random thing) wherein a runbook is attached to select IR/SR templates and said runbook has a PowerShell script that runs something to the effect of:

$randomValue = get-random -minimum 0 -maximum 100
    if ($randomValue -eq 42)
    {
        $triggerResult = $true
    }

Then in the SCO databus, pass along to the next step if $triggerResult is $true. Again, this is more of a lottery/random scenario and less of a consistent execution (i.e. every 10 or 100). To those curious as to the "why" behind such a process, it was done to perform a random sampling of who actually reads all of the emails auto-generated by SCSM. This process ultimately triggered an email that informed the Affected User they could claim a gift card for coffee or something. Certainly a bit gimmicky, but provided insight into employee habits with respect to SR.

BUT! I'd say to achieve the every X IR/SR you could also have some job (SCO or SMA) run a few minutes after the Cireson Auto-Close workflow executes, grab all of those Work Items, run some calculation against the total value, and then step through each one, every other one, every 5, etc.
  • Steve_WrightSteve_Wright Cireson Support Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hey Adam,
    Thanks for the insight and feedback. Interesting use of a random sample being used to gauge user behavior!
  • NIcholas_ScottNIcholas_Scott Customer IT Monkey ✭
    I'm the customer that inquired about this :)

Adam, good solution with the runbook. I hadn't thought about using Orchestrator to accomplish this. The randomness work fine for us. We're just looking at send out an email with just a link to the survey instead of it being buried in the resolution email to the affected users.
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi,

I've done some work on this and went around the houses a bit trying to figure out the best approach.

We didn't want to to add the survey link to the resolution email as (a) didn't want to survey every user for every WI and (b) didn't want they survey request to get lost.
    In the end we settled on a weekly approach. A runbook runs every Thursday night and scoops up all the IRs and SRs resolved / completed in the last 7 days, picks x% at random, removes and duplicate affected users (to avoid the small chance that a user who had multiple tickets resolved in 1 week getting multiple surveys in 1 week) and then blasts out emails with links to surveys.
    The standard notification template was used so the email was clearly from IT but with different colours so it stood out from a standard Ticket Open / Closed notification.

If you did want to add the survey link into the Resolution Notification, you could trigger a SMA runbook off the Status property changing from 'not equals Resolved' to 'Resolved' and that runbook can then have the randomiser and send survey notifications. 
    However, you'll then want to use that process for all Resolution Notifications and turn off the built in workflow ones as users will get the standard one AND a survey one if they are randomly choosen. So you can have a runbook that randomly selects x% and then sends either a standard resolution notification or a survey request resolution notification.

Hope this helps.

Geoff
  • Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm the customer that inquired about this :)

Adam, good solution with the runbook. I hadn't thought about using Orchestrator to accomplish this. The randomness work fine for us. We're just looking at send out an email with just a link to the survey instead of it being buried in the resolution email to the affected users.
    Glad to help.
    Make on.