Home Advanced Request Offering
Options

Query Prompt (Related Incident) Help Needed

Chris_KeanderChris_Keander Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
Can one of you Service Manager wizards help me out with a question related to the Query Results prompt?

I'm creating a fairly simple ARO for another department.  One of the prompts they want to have is "Related Issue ID" which should be a way for them to type in IRxxxxxxx and then link the result(s) as a related item.

I'm a little unsure how to configure this prompt once I add it.  Please help if you can.  Let me know if you need more information than what I've provided.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know @chris_Keander I've tried doing this myself once or twice and I actually end up crashing that new Work Item/SR/RO every time because the RO configuration only lets you map the query result object as an Impacted Config Item or Related Item...but not a Related Work Item.

That said, the GUI prevents you from establishing this relationship successfully so I've for the longest time been under the impression that this can't be done. I hope someone can prove us wrong!
  • Options
    Thank you for the quick response @Adam_Dzyacky

Worst case scenario - I can multi-map it as text to the Description field.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    So @Geoff_Ross just to press you a bit further one this, once you submit it, you can verify that that new SR you submitted through the portal as an RO you can in fact open up, go to related items and see the WI you attached?

In relation to the "crash" scenario I mentioned, I did this with the stock Request Offering mechanism and the portal refuses to load that new work item. But to be fair, this was in the 2.x, 3.x days of the portal. Curious if that this means it's resolved as a result of ARO or 4.x/5.x/6.x
  • Options
    I'm trying to make this happen @Geoff_Ross but I'm stuck on Tab #2.  I want to have a box where they can just type in a work item "ID"

I just don't know how to configure the criteria for this:

• Options
    edited October 2016
    @Chris_Keander Oh that... :)

The scenario I originally configured used the Incident combination class, and showed a list of Incidents where the affected users was the current signed in user (i.e. Use the Set Token and grab the user's username).

Then it only showed their incidents and they could pick/filter on theirs. Just to sit/think on the page you're on for a second, you're trying to show a list of Incidents to a user to pick. What's the criteria for an Incident being in this selectable list? The title contains something? The Affected User is the currently signed in user? The status is resolved/closed?

I suggest using a different criteria and possibly a different Class to generate a list of Incidents here.
  • Options
    The problem is, I'm pretty sure that the users who will be creating these work items won't always be the affected user, or have any relationship to the incident they are trying to link.  I don't know how to filter incidents, and not sure that I should be.  I just want them to be able to type in an ID number (which they will probably have) and link it easily.

This is going to be a form used by select individuals to submit bug reports for our PeopleSoft developers.
  • Options
    Certainly a bit more challenging then, because the Cireson portal has a cap of only showing you 500 results in a query result and right now your selection is all Incidents. You can bump this limit in the Settings pane of the portal but for performance reasons is why it's set OOB at 500. Ultimately, I think you're going to have to figure out some criteria here to return a limited result set.

Perhaps they'll always be classified the same?
    They'll always be Active/pending?
    The source will always be something?
    I'm typing outloud as you can probably tell.

Certainly there has to be some kind of shape to this data?
  • Options
    I'll have to talk to the team who initiated this request in the first place.  Probably won't be until next week.  I appreciate your help.  Stay tuned!
  • Options
    Dennis_de_JagerDennis_de_Jager Customer IT Monkey ✭
    To Work around the 500 limit you can have a previous text box as a filter token on the WI ID field. This will let them type in the ID or part of it and then the list will show the Work Items that match the filter. Only requirement is that the input of the previous question should be of the same type of the field you are using as a Query Result criteria. Text input in this case will work.

What will be confusing is having that extra filter text box above the built in filter text box in the Query Result part on the form.

Your question has helped me realize you can link more stuff to even more other stuff. Thanks for that.