Home Asset Barcode

How to customise the Barcode app?

Rezaul_HoqueRezaul_Hoque Customer IT Monkey ✭
I'm using the Barcode app in conjunction with Service Manager. Is there a way to customise what fields are available on the app after we scan a barcode for adding a new asset on to the database such as Primary User etc... Similar to how you can change some of the setting for SM on the Console?

Best Answers

Answers

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment there is no supported way to customize this out of the box that I am aware of.
    However, your suggestion of what fields should be displayed is a good one and should be added to the feature requests page as a suggestion.

Please add it and I will certainly give it my up-vote as I think the Barcode app is one of the more underutilized apps that we have.
  • Conner_WoodConner_Wood Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    I think the Barcode app is one of the more underutilized apps that we have.
    Yes, it's the only App that does not work with the new licensing experience, only with the old version of license keys in place will it function.  So yes, it would indeed be underutilized as it cannot be used as intended via the new licensing experience.

Proof:  Cireson BarCode WebAPI - Only Uses Old License - Won't work with just New Licensing Experience

• Kenneth_SundbyKenneth_Sundby Member IT Monkey ✭
    Will the barcode app ever be upgraded or is it a dead product?
    edited October 2016
    @Kenneth_Sundby

I admit it's seems more the latter each and every day that Cireson doesn't communicate that they are working on a fix.

I private messaged Pete Zerger ( @pzerger ) at the end of August but have received no response regarding a status update.... and he's made posts in September too.

It really doesn't make me feel like it's been prioritized as Pete Zerger from Cireson stated back in May... in particular he closed my BarCode License Issue thread while leaving a comment stating that it's: "an issue we are working to iron out later in the year."

Tick Tock Cireson... Tick Tock >:)
  • shaun_ericsonshaun_ericson Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    @Conner_Wood Just popping in here as a bit confused on the following statement:

Yes, it's the only App that does not work with the new licensing experience, only with the old version of license keys in place will it function.  So yes, it would indeed be underutilized as it cannot be used as intended via the new licensing experience.

You are correct that it does not work with the new licensing experience, however that should not stop anyone from actually using the product as it is released now? I may be missing something, let me know. Thanks!
    however that should not stop anyone from actually using the product as it is released
    That may be true, but I'm not going to set up a solution that is left dead in the water... ;)
    @Kenneth_Sundby I can understand your frustration as there has been a bit of a void with responses to feature requests, we want to completely apologize for that! We are currently going through the top feature requests in each feature request area, and will start adding those to the product. With that said, it is obvious you cannot customize the Barcode app as of now but would you mind placing this as a feature request with the AM area: https://community.cireson.com/categories/asset-management-feature-requests and see how your peers vote on it? We are currently consuming a few other feature requests for the Barcode app which we will be going through the next few days to communicate in the Community however would be curious how this one is received by other customers. Thanks.
  • Candice_YeudallCandice_Yeudall Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    How does it not stop us from using it when our production environment is all the new keys and the barcode app is looking for our old key to validate and allow us to use it.
    edited October 2016
    You are correct that it does not work with the new licensing experience, however that should not stop anyone from actually using the product as it is released now? I may be missing something, let me know. Thanks!
    It's a long story @shaun_ericson and I don't blame you for not reading the entire comment log of Cireson Incident Ticket IR41207 which was mentioned in my post you quoted as it is ~17 pages worth of solid troubleshooting I had to do to prove to Cireson they need to fix it, not say "it's just you having this problem" or ignore it.  Well, maybe a short novel now that I think about page length ;) 

I don't want you to think this is me being incivil towards Cireson or anyone else, I legitimately want the Cireson BarCode Licensing working as intended and I am only summarizing the facts of the 
    IR41207 comments.

.... *Deep Breath* ....

There is absolute 00.00% proof that anyone from Cireson actually knows a working workaround.  On the Known Issues it says Cireson will provide you with old license keys and a PowerShell script.  HOWEVER Cireson did not HUA (Heard Understood Acknowledged) my Ticket Comment which stated the fact that "
    there's no place to enter the old licenses, and they are processed in Cireson code and altered so adding directly to the Database won't work!".  The comment date-stamp is 5/12/2016 4:16 PM if you choose to verify it.

The fact that you asked that question has not inspired my confidence either.  

I'll ask a simple Yes-Or-No question now.

Can anyone at Cireson PROVE they have a workaround that formats the required licenses and stores them in SQL the same way it was done through the Old Version of the Cireson Portal as well as PROVE they got it working for one of their customers?

I'm not going to set up a solution that is left dead in the water... ;)

Especially when Cireson hasn't yet established and confirmed they have got it working with others who have to enter the old licenses which are already formatted the way they get formatted through the old portal when entered.  Why should you have to waste your time?
  • Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is clearly some frustration here, and it seems warranted.  We do not use the barcode app here, but it is not because we do not think it would be useful.  This is just another customer perspective to consider along with @Conner_Wood 's, essentially just expanding on what @Kenneth_Sundby said.

I do not want to design a process around a product that does not seem like it will be around (and patched, supported) much longer.  I have never asked anyone at Cireson for the roadmap, but the known issues, the version history, and the fact that I would need to install a second, deprecated license using a custom script, speak for themselves.  Sure, I could probably get it to work, but with all these things working against it, I choose to focus my limited resources elsewhere.  If I look at these same data points for other Cireson products, they keep me engaged instead of taking the product out of consideration.

Here's the takeaway from this anecdote: perceptions and concerns about the roadmap and support are preventing at least one customer from using this product.  It seems like it could be very useful, but it also seems like it won't be worth the trouble (e.g., I will have to re-work my process not to use the barcode app sometime in the not too distant future).

Getting out in front of these perceptions with some fact-based communication would help, but ultimately what will increase the user base is to demonstrate that it is still part of the roadmap with some tangible action.  Get the license converted to the new model, squash some bugs, and start prioritizing some feature requests (and of course they may not be prioritized as high as portal requests--I think we all get that), and customers like me will be looking at the app very differently.  Otherwise, I think we would appreciate Cireson letting us know that it was a good idea that did not work out for whatever reason, and they are moving on.  Some of the frustration is simply from not knowing.
    I just want to emphasize my feelings in this: the latest iOS version is 1.5 years old. If all they publish is a license update I will still consider this product to be dead...
    Just an update real quick, we still working on approach here. Apologies for the delay.
    I think we would appreciate Cireson letting us know that it was a good idea that did not work out for whatever reason, and they are moving on.
    I agree, there's been no updates from anyone at Cireson regarding this Barcode app for a month now, it might be better to announce the BarCode App is Abandonware and they won't support this outdated license scheme (which they should've upgraded to begin with but didn't).  As far as I'm concerned if the Barcode hasn't been made a priority by now then it never will be.
    As far as I'm concerned if the Barcode hasn't been made a priority by now then it never will be.
    I would love to see this become a quick win achieved between priorities, perhaps, but I cannot include it in any of our process changes if a viable update is not part of a roadmap, at least. 

Sounds very good! :)

edited January 2017
    we are working on getting us to the next iteration which will require us to implement a few items to properly get it in the right place.
    Mind giving us a status update or when you plan to have to at least 5% of the work done, the last thing that happened with IR41207 was it was assigned back to Merlenette Jones at the end of November 2016 and then nothing.

Edit:  I see you wanted a clean slate without all those troubleshooting comments by having it handled as PR58155, too bad the comment field is reserved, as you should add in the following bit of information:

The BarCode Cireson.CacheBuilder.Service.exe located in "C:\inetpub\CiresonWebAPI\CacheBuilder\WindowsService" still references the old licenses because where the code is failing is when it's pulling from the Cireson.License.DLL to validate the licenses in [ConsoleSettings - GetSettings()], the code will need to be updated and not still trying to validate the old license info. (old licenses == the Analyst, SSP, and HTML keys). Since it cannot find the old licenses and validate them in the SCSM ServiceManager Database, it won't build the cache files required so the server will never be ready to be used by the phones with the app.
  • Ilias_El_TaghadouiniIlias_El_Taghadouini Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Hey,

Any update or timeline for the new barcode app ?

Thanks
  • Marek_LefekMarek_Lefek Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hey,

Any update or timeline for the new barcode app ?

Thanks
    Hi, does Cireson have any plans for barcode app? There are some CR for it
    edited April 2018

Steve Wright:

I want to share with an announcement made by Cireson to customers using the Asset Barcode App:

Cireson has made the decision to end of life the current Barcode app, and focus efforts on an entirely new barcode scanner. The decision to end of life the product does not come easy, however after months of analysis we have determined that the current architecture of the Cireson Barcode app is not sustainable to keep updated with the current pace of mobile OS development and Cireson product development.

In an effort to do the right thing for our customers, Cireson has decided to focus its internal resources on building a new version of the Cireson Barcode app allowing the solution to live on new architecture that is sustainable and ultimately enables innovation for future versions. We currently do not have a timeline in place for when this new version will be released, however we will update you along the way as we iterate through this initiative.

If you are a customer that wants to be part of feedback, influence and testing for the new Barcode app, please let us know as we would love to have you involved along the way.

Our support team will continue to do our best to assist with current installs of Asset Barcode as it relates to troubleshooting and configuration. With our dialog over the last couple of years, this may not come as a surprise to you. Rebuilding the application is the best and most sustainable option.  I will continue to keep the communication open and keep you apprised of development on the new product.

So the plan is drop it like the dead product it is and create a new barcode scanner.  Cireson has no timeline on the new barcode scanner.

I look forward to the progress on the new product to replace it and then some!

It did take Cireson years to come to this decision, but now that it has I bet it's a great relief!

“Fear of failure is worse than failure itself because it condemns you to a life of unrealized potential.” ~ Travis Bradberry, author of Emotional Intelligence 2.0

While this hardly constitutes "failing fast," it is definitely a relief to see that a direction has finally been chosen.  The thing I asked for back in November of 2016 finally just happened, so that is a good start.

Hopefully, the customers and partners are kept in the loop this time.

I am wishing the (future?) team the best of success in the new app's development.
This discussion has been closed.