Home Self-Service Portal - Community

Hiding "NULL" in Query Results box on Request Offering form

Hi, in a Query Results box on a Requst Offering form, we expose columns that in some cases do not have any content on some rows -- for those cells in the Query Results box "NULL" is displayed.  Is it possible via CSS (or?) to simply have those cells display as empty, instead of saying "NULL"?

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Answer ✓
    Hi David,

What version of the Cireson Portal are you running? I've tried to replicate this issue for you in version 5 and 6 and cannot. In both versions, when I show a property which has blank values I just get a blank.

Geoff
  • Leigh_KildayLeigh_Kilday Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016 Answer ✓

Are you certain that you don't have a "NULL" string value for those fields? The fastest way is to use SQL Server Management Studio and execute the following:

SELECT * FROM ServiceManagement.dbo.ConfigurationItem

... and check that the NULL results appear with a dull yellow background.

To make doubly sure, you can add the column name to the select statement and wrap it in an ISNULL to test whether it is a true NULL or a string.

E.g. SELECT ISNULL([Status], 'This is NULL') FROM ServiceManagement.dbo.ConfigurationItem

Answers

• Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Answer ✓
    Hi David,

What version of the Cireson Portal are you running? I've tried to replicate this issue for you in version 5 and 6 and cannot. In both versions, when I show a property which has blank values I just get a blank.

Geoff
  • Leigh_KildayLeigh_Kilday Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016 Answer ✓

Are you certain that you don't have a "NULL" string value for those fields? The fastest way is to use SQL Server Management Studio and execute the following:

SELECT * FROM ServiceManagement.dbo.ConfigurationItem

... and check that the NULL results appear with a dull yellow background.

To make doubly sure, you can add the column name to the select statement and wrap it in an ISNULL to test whether it is a true NULL or a string.

E.g. SELECT ISNULL([Status], 'This is NULL') FROM ServiceManagement.dbo.ConfigurationItem

• David_DarlingDavid_Darling Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Wow, thank you both so much, in fact someone had set the values to "NULL" -- I wouldn't have expected that :)  Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.