Home Service Manager
Options

Advice on Archiving tickets

Sean_TerrySean_Terry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
My company only archive tickets after a year (was 3 months). Just curious what other companies have set their archives to and the impact on performance. Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi Sean,

Despite the defaults, I was say that 1 year is the most common setting for all work items types amongst customers I have worked with. The potential impacts on performance are database size, so ensure you monitor the disks and have space to grow them, and the time it takes to open 'All Incidents' view, so don't use this view - its pretty useless anyway.

Geoff
  • Options
    Mike_StormsMike_Storms Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    3 years... but this seems extremely long... it's a compliance issue we have been struggling with... and more use of reporting tools...
  • Options
    Conner_WoodConner_Wood Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I currently have my DW Retention Time on DWDataMart and DWRepository set to ~4000 years.  This is so it won't alter data and break ITIL standards in the Archive, and mess up reporting.

My SCSM Data Retention Settings are:
    • Closed Incident - 110 days
    • Closed Change Request - 364 days
    • Closed Release Record - 364 days
    • Closed Service Request - 364 days
    • Closed Problem - 364 days
    • History Retention Time - 366 days (this is to ensure grooming and sync to DW goes smoothly)

You should be aware that the Data Warehouse does not archive ticket comments by default and must be manually added

More information