Home Asset Management

Notice Events - How to Use

Alex_MarshAlex_Marsh Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
Hi All

I'm struggling to find any information on how the notice events work and how to get them setup correctly. I have a customer with a requirement around wanting to be notified x days before a hardware asset warranty/lease expires. The warranties and leases are using master contracts.
I (think) I know how to configure the notice event itself but I'm struggling with the actual notification templates. Are they setup for the lease/warranty or are they based on the hardware asset. I'm also wary of potentially sending hundreds of notifications should a large number of machines expire within the set time period.

Thanks!

Comments

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

A Notice Event is a way to provide notifications on workflow events within the Cireson Asset Management solution for any class with a notice event as well as being able to trigger on a manually configured date.

This includes notification for workflows such as the impending end to a warranty, support contract or lease.

Notice events are not used to create notifications for stock levels of consumable devices. These are created and sent from within the Consumable CI configuration.

To create a Notice Event:

1.     Within the SCSM console, select the Configuration Items workspace.

2.     Expand the Asset Management Node.

3.     Expand the Administration node.

4.     Right click the Notice Events node and select the Create Notice Event from the drop down menu.

5.     Enter the Notice Event details on the General tab.

6.     The Title, Due Date, Target Class, Notification Template, and Recipients are all required fields.

7.     The Due Date is a fixed date that the notification event will trigger. This can be tied to the contract by selecting the Use Contract End Date option. 

8.     The Notice Span and Notice Period control how far in advance a notice event is triggered. An example might be to a Notice Span of 90 and a notice Period of Days. This would send the notification 90 days before the contract would expire.

9.     The Target Class is the class type that this Notification Event is to be triggered on and what will limit the Notification Template list.

10.  Notification Templates can be created for the target class and when a matching class is selected they will appear in this list.

11.  If the Use Contract End Date instead of Due Date option is selected, the Hardware Asset Notification Tempalte is used when a Lease or Warranty contract triggers an event and the contract is a Master Contrtact.

This option is used when the contract is a Master Contract as they can be assigned to mutliple Hardware Assets. If this option is not selected for Master Contracts, the notification will be sent out for ALL associated assets, when only one of the CI’s is within the notification time.

This allows for a more targeted notification template to be used.

12.  The Notes field can be used for documenting the settings, requirements and process associated with this Notification Event.

13.  Add Recipients to the list to ensure all people who are required to be notified receive the message.
    Dynamic recipients of the Notification Owner and the Contract Custodian can be added by selecting the appropriate check box.

14.  Related Notice Event Configuration Items are any configurations items that will trigger this notice event. Add all that will use this notice event for notifications.

For a description of each of the fields that make up the Notification Event configuration item, please see section 13.130 in this document.

Naming Best Practices for Notice Events

A naming convention for a Notification event should make it easy to identify the item that is triggering the event and when the event that will occur or the time span for when the event will occur. Cireson Best Practice is to incorporate these two elements in to a single name.

For example:

90-day Lease Contract Expiration Warning

and

30-day Lease Contract Expiration Warning

The 30-day notification event may have more urgent wording or be sent to a larger distribution list of people. If the lease is renewed after the 90-day expiration notification event, then the 30-day notification event will not trigger.

I hope this answers your question
  • Alex_MarshAlex_Marsh Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Thanks Brett, that looks like it will sort out what I need. What document is this in for future reference?
  • Jodi_IsaacsonJodi_Isaacson Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hello,

I have done all of the above, confirmed the workflow was enabled, confirmed notification channel is configured correctly, and I'm still not receiving any notices.  Any other steps I'm missing?  Our consultant thought maybe Subscriptions would also need to be setup, but that seems like I would be doubling up on the notices?

Thanks.

• James_AtanceJames_Atance Cireson Support Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hi Jodi,

What are you seeing in the AM log file ProcessNoticeEvents_xxxxxxxxx.log 

James

• Marek_LefekMarek_Lefek Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Thanks @Brett_Moffett for the manual. I got one question to point 14 -   Related Notice Event Configuration. Does the workflow works only for CI that are added in this point? For others notification will not be send?

How to set notification for all warranty, support contract or lease without addich each one by one.

Is there a possibility to set  the notice event for license?

• Eric_KrasnerEric_Krasner Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    @Brett_Moffett
    Can you point to the document that your outline comes from?
  • Karen_Bruster1Karen_Bruster1 Member IT Monkey ✭

A Notice Event is a way to provide notifications on workflow events within the Cireson Asset Management solution for any class with a notice event as well as being able to trigger on a manually configured date.

This includes notification for workflows such as the impending end to a warranty, support contract or lease.

Notice events are not used to create notifications for stock levels of consumable devices. These are created and sent from within the Consumable CI configuration.

4.     Right click the Notice Events node and select the Create Notice Event from the drop down menu.

6.     The Title, Due Date, Target Class, Notification Template, and Recipients are all required fields.

7.     The Due Date is a fixed date that the notification event will trigger. This can be tied to the contract by selecting the Use Contract End Date option. 

8.     The Notice Span and Notice Period control how far in advance a notice event is triggered. An example might be to a Notice Span of 90 and a notice Period of Days. This would send the notification 90 days before the contract would expire.

9.     The Target Class is the class type that this Notification Event is to be triggered on and what will limit the Notification Template list.

10.  Notification Templates can be created for the target class and when a matching class is selected they will appear in this list.

11.  If the Use Contract End Date instead of Due Date option is selected, the Hardware Asset Notification Tempalte is used when a Lease or Warranty contract triggers an event and the contract is a Master Contrtact.

This option is used when the contract is a Master Contract as they can be assigned to mutliple Hardware Assets. If this option is not selected for Master Contracts, the notification will be sent out for ALL associated assets, when only one of the CI’s is within the notification time.

12.  The Notes field can be used for documenting the settings, requirements and process associated with this Notification Event.

13.  Add Recipients to the list to ensure all people who are required to be notified receive the message.
    Dynamic recipients of the Notification Owner and the Contract Custodian can be added by selecting the appropriate check box.

14.  Related Notice Event Configuration Items are any configurations items that will trigger this notice event. Add all that will use this notice event for notifications.

For a description of each of the fields that make up the Notification Event configuration item, please see section 13.130 in this document.

A naming convention for a Notification event should make it easy to identify the item that is triggering the event and when the event that will occur or the time span for when the event will occur. Cireson Best Practice is to incorporate these two elements in to a single name.

For example:

and

The 30-day notification event may have more urgent wording or be sent to a larger distribution list of people. If the lease is renewed after the 90-day expiration notification event, then the 30-day notification event will not trigger.

@Brett_Moffett Lets say I create the notification today with a span of 60 days and I have a license that is going to expire in 51 days will it still kick out a notification?
  • Morten_MeislerMorten_Meisler Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

For example:

and

@Brett_Moffett Lets say I create the notification today with a span of 60 days and I have a license that is going to expire in 51 days will it still kick out a notification?
    Yes it will. The workflow runs default on a daily schedule (the schedule can be changed to specific week day)

It will also kick out notification after the contract/license is expired. So it could be an idea to make a workflow that disables the notice event if the related contract/license is expired. Or you could keep an eye out and turn it off yourself :)
  • Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Morten_Meisler for answering that one for me.
    I've only just realised all my @ notification e-mails are going to my SPAM folder so didn't see all the mentions to replies.

@Karen_Bruster1, I hope the answer @Morten_Meisler provided gives you the details you need.