Home Outlook Console

Sometimes when submitting a ticket using the Outlook Console I get an error

Bryant_RichardsBryant_Richards Customer IT Monkey ✭
Sometimes when submitting a ticket using the Outlook Console I get an error:
"A discovery data item was rejected because the item has already been inserted by another user or process."

If you select Ok the ticket stays up but you cant save and have to cancel it. If you create the same ticket after on the portal it works correctly. Any idea how to fix this or what is causing this?

Answers

• Tony_CollettTony_Collett Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a collision avoidance technique. The work item you loaded was modified by another user or process while you were updating the work item. Upon saving, the Outlook console is checking the Last Modified date and seeing if it's the same as the one that was loaded. If it was changed, it will throw back this error. 

You are right that you have to close out of the ticket and reload/refresh it in order to add your information/comments to the work item. 

This is something that isn't really 'fixable' as it resolves many problems if the ticket was saved at the same time someone else was modifying it. 
  • Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a checkbox in the settings pane for the MP entitled "Use alternative commit method" and with it checked, I've seen it fix a surprisingly large number of issues.
  • Bryant_RichardsBryant_Richards Customer IT Monkey ✭
    I get the error as well only when a ticket is created
  • Jens_SalzgeberJens_Salzgeber Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Use Alternate Commit doesn't seem to resolve the issue. We've found that if we're creating an SR from a template and the template contains Business Services, Computers, or Organizations, we can circumvent the issue by removing those from the template.
  • Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jens_Salzgeber - so with that said are the users who are trying to create those work items have permissions to access/create those relationships to those CIs in question?
    It happens with me and I have all privileges as Im the administrator for SM
    @Jens_Salzgeber - so with that said are the users who are trying to create those work items have permissions to access/create those relationships to those CIs in question?
    They can do it in the SCSM console without issue, so I doubt it's permissions. That said SCSM permissioning can get really layered and I find myself longing for a RSOP report.
  • Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has a support incident been logged with the Cireson support team?
    If not, please do so and the team can jump on this one for you.

For the sake of continuing the conversation here in the community and sharing information, we can continue to work through some fault finding steps here.
    Some questions to start the fault finding process:
    1. What version of SCSM are you running at the moment? (2012 R2 UR9? 2016?)
    2. What version of Office are you running? (2013 x86?, 2016 x64?)
    3. What version of the Outlook console add-in are you running and what is the MP version in the SCSM console?
    4. Is the SCSM console installed on the PC that also runs the Outlook console?
    edited December 2016
    I'll get a ticket in. 

App Version: 2016
    Office: 2013x86
    Add-In: 7.5.20161
    MP: 7.5.2016.168
    Console: Yes (although there are some computers with 2012 UR9, that may be a good lead)
    Edit: Console version doesn't impact error. Happens on 2012UR9, and 2016 (whether clean install or upgrade).
    Im still having this problem with emails from the portal. We are up to date with updates and patches, our COCS version is v8.0.0.2012. It seems to happen most times when I try to take an email and Create Incident from Template for. We usually have to forward the email, copy the contents and paste them into a portal ticket. Has a fix been found for this issue yet?