Home Service Manager Portal Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

Cireson Portal Request - SQL Widgets - Allow DataSource to be set

Conner_WoodConner_Wood Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
I am requesting the feature that SQL Widgets in the Portal can be configured to query directly against the SCSM ServiceManager Database instead of the Cireson ServiceManagement Database.

Currently 
SQL Widgets are only for querying the Cireson Database, which has some slight downsides because not all info is present in Cireson DB compared to SCSM Live DB.  One limitation is you can't search custom relationships or custom properties because it's not in the Cireson DB.

The Widgets in particular I'd want to have this feature in order of priority:
  1. SQL Chart Widget
  2. SQL Table Widget
  3. SQL Count Widget

Remember if you want it to vote on it!

13 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• Jerry_VeldhuisJerry_Veldhuis Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Great idea.

I will mention that if the database exists on the same server as your ServiceManagement db and you have access, you can use it in a query. As an example, I'm able to query my ReportServer db by specifying this in a SQL Table Widget.

select  [RoleFlags] FROM [ReportServer].[dbo].[Roles]

Not as idea as being able to select the db, but it is possible.

• james_kleinschnitzjames_kleinschnitz Cireson Dev, Product Owner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    This one was already in our backlog and is being worked on as part of the Cireson Data Analytics feature coming soon.
  • Jerry_VeldhuisJerry_Veldhuis Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

This one was already in our backlog and is being worked on as part of the Cireson Data Analytics feature coming soon.

I hope the feature includes arbitrary databases on a separate server and not locked down to scsm dbs. Can you confirm what the design plans are ?

• carrie_medinecarrie_medine Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

I hope the feature includes arbitrary databases on a separate server and not locked down to scsm dbs. Can you confirm what the design plans are ?

Hello Jerry,

We are currently working through the implementation details.  We plan to allow administrators to enter in custom datasources by providing:
    Provider (i.e. System.Data.SqlClient)
    ConnectionString (i.e. Server=sql;Database=ServiceManager;Trusted_Connection=True;)

Essentially allowing the ability to query any database that you have appropriate credentials to access.   The ConnectionString will of course be encrypted for the cases where a username and password is within the connectionstring.

We would love to hear your feedback and welcome any suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Carrie
  • Conner_WoodConner_Wood Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Jamie, I think putting the alias in [] will work.
    Ah, that helps me tremendously, I couldn't figure out why the "Group By" dropdown kept going read-only!

Edit:  It appears I cannot do "WITH" to predefine so I must adapt my query to maybe use subqueries instead.

WITH [AssigneeTickets] AS 
    (
      SELECT TOP 1000 [Id]
      FROM [ServiceManagement].[dbo].[WorkItem]
    )
    SELECT [AssigneeTickets].[Id] FROM [AssigneeTickets]

Edit #2: Blah, also make sure for IN Operator that it returns a value, otherwise it may appear it doesn't work.